• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I need some urgent help please - Private Tenant at end of Tenancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some urgent help please - Private Tenant at end of Tenancy

Hello,

I would be ever so grateful for a bit of advice.

I have been a private tenant for 3 years. I contacted my landlord to inform him that the back door had broken and I was unable to open it on 14.02.2018. He said he'd be round then called me to say it had been raining and he'd cut his thumb and was having a bad day so he couldn't make it, I have heard nothing since. This isn't unusual for my landlord so I decided to hand in my notice on 15.02.2018. He responded to my written notification with the following: "OK i will call and collect keys on 15th at 10.30 please ensure property is clean and tidy and all utilities finalised"

I received a letter to say there would be an inspection of the house on 27th - I responded in writing to let my landlord know that was the day I'd planned for a removal van so things may be a bit chaotic and that I wouldn't be there at the time he stated This was the day we had bad snow so everything went on hold, I moved out on Sat 3rd and planned to return this evening/weekend to finish things up.

My landlord called me 3 times at work today, leaving voicemails for me to call back as soon as possible. I text him to say I was in meetings but I could text him back if there was a problem. He continued to call leaving voicemails stating "You're always in a meeting, call me back urgently" (I am always in meetings, it's my job...) I made the callback and received a load of abuse from him. He said that he'd been in and I'd left the property in "a ****ing disgrace" - I reminded him that the tenancy wasn't up until 15th and asked him to give me examples of what he felt was so bad so I could clean it to his standard at the end of my tenancy. He referred to the yard - which does have dog poo in it, but only because I can't get access to it because the door's broken.

Apologies for the war and peace but I'd like to know how I should deal with this (do I summarise the convo in writing?), do I have to answer his calls and do I have to attend the handover? If I am within my rights I'd prefer to clean the property, take photos and leave the keys for him. Am I right to believe that if he does have an issue with the way I leave my property he only has the right to complain through the appropriate channels in writing?

Thank you so much for any help in advance.

Poppy
    Tags: None

If on the day you have left the property is as you found it then I'm not sure why the LL has a problem . He maybe trying to not return the deposit. Keep note of any communication especially the date when the door was reported broken etc.

I would just make sure everything is in good order on leaving including dog poo clearing and wait to see what his beef is .. It could be a ruse to keep back deposits but take pics of the property when you are finally ready to leave

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X