• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlord demanding rent arrears be paid now or get kicked out!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord demanding rent arrears be paid now or get kicked out!

Ive just got off the phone to a friend and she was in tears. She's had it bad for a while through one thing and another and ive tried to help her when i can but i feel this is now getting beyond what I can do.

She lives in a private rented house and fell behind with the rent when her ex left. She then lost her job and has taken jobs here and there when she can just to get money to live. All the time she paid what she could to the rent which usually all her wage but kept falling behind further. She was on universal tax credit for some months but that didnt even cover the rent and she got more behind. She's about 8 weeks behind in total which amounts to about £800. I got the phone call off her because the landlord just text her saying he wants £360 by weekend of he will kick her out of the property. So now she just in a panic with no one to turn to except me. I tried to calm her and told her the landlord would have to follow a certain process to evict her which could take months but it turns out this landlord doesnt play by the rules and is well known in the area as someone not to mess with. He would think nothing of simply going in while she was there and throwing her out onto the street and although she is 27 she is no match for this guy and she is very easily shook up. She is pretty much alone with a few friends who cant really do anything and I cant raise the amount this landlord wants by weekend; I can get a couple hundred but not sure if that will make him give her some breathing space. I actually fear for her safety now, not because of what the landlord might do, but because she feels alone and everything is getting too much for her. Would be grateful of any advice
    Tags: None

She needs to ring Shelter and talk through her situation with them - they will be able to advise her of her rights, the process the landlord SHOULD go through and what she can do if he doesn't - https://england.shelter.org.uk/ - contact details https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help/helpline

Diana M
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Yes as Amethyst said, there are very strict procedures and no one is above the law. Possibly seek some legal advice . Some will give you an initial appt free of charge.

If he becomes violent then police must be called... I have been burnt very badly by a tenant not paying and it takes an awful long time to evict even with a section 8 for 2 months arrears.

However at some point the rent will need to be caught up with or eviction will take place so Shelter should help with how to sort the financial problems as no matter whether your friend has an abusive landlord or a decent one, like most of us the rent has to be kept up with so I think your friend needs sound financial advice with claiming benefits etc

I would also advise looking for a new home as this LL may always be hassling. You haven't mentioned what deposits were paid as she could have a claim if the deposit wasn't protected properly

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I have passed it on to her. Between us we managed to raise the initial £360 this time, it was a struggle and doubt we could do it again but it has taken some of the stress off her. I asked her about deposit and tenancy agreement; it was only £50 deposit which wasnt put into any protection scheme. The tenency agreement was done when she was with her boyfriend, the landlord told them to just download a template agreement from internet and sign it. She never received a signed copy from landlord or an updated one when boyfriend left so the propety is still in joint names. And she has never received a rent book either.

Comment

There are some real knowledgeable people here so they would offer you some better advice. I believe she would still be on a shorthand tenancy agreement even if there wasn't one in place so the same rules apply.

The 50.00 deposit I'm not sure on, but a deposit is still a deposit so in theory the rules still would apply but could possibly make things worse.

Your friend needs to have a look here : https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...ivate_landlord

hope that link works... it will give her good advice on how to proceed if LL is an arse !!! but always dial 999 if she is in imminent danger

Comment

Firstly she needs to make sure she is claiming what she is entitled to so that she will be able to pay in future and maybe ask the LL if she can pay off the arrears over a set period of time

Councils may be able to help with a deposit scheme if she would be better off moving out for her safety ...some are very good and some aren't ... if she has no children it maybe a lot more difficult .

Let us know how she gets on ...maybe a room in a shared house high be a better option than this scenario where the amounts are a lot lower

Comment

Diana M

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X