• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taking over a mortgage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking over a mortgage

Hi all am hoping someone could help with this. I will give as much detail as i can but if i miss any kind of info please ask.

OK so i currently live with a friend in a 3 bed detached house on a nice estate. My friend who owns the house has his name on the mortgage along with his wife however they have been separated for around 5 years and they are technically still married and both names on the mortgage. My friends wife who i will call debs is now at the stage where she wants to get a mortgage of her own and has been told that even though she has a good job and a good earner she cannot get another mortgage unless she can get her name of the current one and has been told that the current mortgage company which is santander are not willing to take her name off the mortgage because my friend does not earn as much money but has an impeccable payment history with the bank and has never missed a payment. So at this stage it is looking like the house would have to be sold the mortgage paid off and they then go on and get new mortgage according to how much they earn.

So the question is, is there any way my friends wife can get her name taken of the mortgage or is it just down to Santander and if they wont do it then nothing anyone can do. They are currently in the progress of getting divorced officially so not sure if that can help in anyway. But any help would be great and any questions please ask.

Many thanks
    Tags: None

hi
    The only suggestion I can make is for your friend to find a good mortgage broker and see if they can find a lender who will grant a mortgage sufficiently large enough to pay off Santander.
    A joint mortgage with you perhaps?
    However will his wife be looking for her share of the equity (if any) that is in the property? This could put a different complexion on the matter.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X