• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mum Gone Into Care Home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    The landlady received my "letter of notice" on Monday & phoned me up & said thatr my mum & her partner (died in March last year) had a contract where they agreed to get the carpets/curtains/garden/everything professionally cleaned ARRGGGHHH ... the carpet is a bit stained (after 8 years with old people in the house) and near the patio door, the carpet is worn, so what is the point of cleaning it, if it'll need replacing anyway??!!
    Did Mum and her partner pay the Landlord a deposit when they moved into the rented property eight years ago, and if so was it protected in a Government backed scheme?

Any end of tenancy disputes would then be dealt with by the relevant TPS for free (such as arguments over the cost of cleaning carpets etc.).

She would also expect to have the deposit returned less any deductions that have been agreed.

Di

Comment

ENAID - Yeah - the landlady said it was in the contract (which I haven't got or seen because I don't live there) that Mum & her partner signed - it just seems pointless to clean a carpet that will need replacing!

I have arranged a carpet cleaner for tomorrow to clean the carpets throughout to the best of the company's ability. £250!

My wife & I are just going to spray/clean the curtains while they're hanging (they're the landlady's curtains).

Comment

Well as Diana has mentioned a deposit, if taken, should have been held in a deposit scheme and on it's return will help with the cleaning cost.Has the LL not mentioned this? if not no harm in asking.

Comment

The landlady said that there was a deposit, so hopefully she won't start criticizing too much because when she is at my mum's house on Tuesday, I'll have finished a night shift & really won't be in the mood for that.

Comment

The landlady said that there was a deposit, so hopefully she won't start criticizing too much because when she is at my mum's house on Tuesday, I'll have finished a night shift & really won't be in the mood for that.
            Advice from Shelter about the deposits return and any deductions trying to be made https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...y_deposit_back

Comment

The landlady said that there was a deposit, so hopefully she won't start criticizing too much

Did the Landlord arrange an Inventory (signed by both parties) when they first moved in because she'll need to compare that with the Inventory/Check-Out if she intends to make any deductions from the deposit for dilapidations.

After eight years you'd be arguing Wear and Tear if there're any issues raised.

I assume you're meeting at the property for the end of tenancy Schedule of Condition and handover of the keys. I would get there a little early and take photos so you have a record of everything including the meter readings (gas/electricity/water).

Di

Comment

Hi people - me with Mum's landlady who was criticizing the walls being slightly dirty, the holes where Mum (85) & her partner (sadly deceased) had put up pictures, the worn carpet ... she said that they had signed an agreement where they would leave the house as it was when they moved in.

Who knows what she will try to deduct from the deposit. Time will tell!

Comment

Originally posted by Jostor
                  Is it works?
                  This thread is over 2 years old !

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X