• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ongoing Dispute with Neighbour is Escalating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ongoing Dispute with Neighbour is Escalating

I rent a terraced house, with shared walls, I moved in six months ago. One of my neighbours is excessively loud, playing loud music at all times of the day and night. I am not a very social person, so I don't really have any interaction with any neighbours, including this one. Two months ago, I reported the noise violation to the council, and received no response until this week (which I will address later in this post).

A few weeks ago, I heard running water in my neighbour's home over the course of several hours, and noticed their car wasn't home. I assumed there was either a water leak, or someone fell in the shower or bath. Partially out of concern for their safety and partially out of concern for structural damage to both our homes, I called the police and reported that no one was home and I heard water running. The police arrived and broke down their door, a reaction I did not expect, I assumed they would just contact the landlord and try to obtain a key. The leak turned out to be nothing serious. Two days later, they came home and saw that their door had been broken down by the police. Since then, they have been giving me angry looks whenever they see me outside.

The situation really escalated the other day. I received a letter from the council saying they are investigating the noise complaint, and the neighbour received the same letter. I was in the park walking my dog right by the house, and I heard someone yelling. I turned around and it was my neighbour, irate about being reported to the council. I said nothing except mentioned to him that I'm moving in three weeks. He responded by telling me to 'watch my back', and that 'all the neighbours think I'm a pedophile.' This accusation is completely untrue. I am not a pedophile, I am a married man (he is aware of this), and I've never even had a child in my home. My wife was on the phone with me when this confrontation happened and heard the entire thing (she and I do not currently live together most of the year since she is American).

Because I take these sorts of accusations very seriously, I contacted the police and informed them that he has been spreading false rumours with neighbours and threatening me, and that I am concerned for my safety, since there are people who will attack someone they believe to be a pedophile. This morning, the police visited my home and informed me that my neighbour called the police and accused me of threatening him with a knife (another untrue accusation). I do own a knife, but it never leaves my home, as I told the police. My neighbour did see the knife once, I was using it to remove dead plants from the garden when I first moved in and he came over for a drink. The police asked to see the knife, and I showed it to them voluntarily.

The police officer said they are making further inquiries into that matter, but I am worried about the threat of being arrested due to his false accusations. I'm planning to visit my wife in a few weeks, and an arrest means I will likely be denied entry into the US and won't be able to visit her for a very long time, if ever. I am worried that he will have false witnesses making false accusations against me, especially if he is friends with some of the other neighbours and has already been spreading rumours about me.

I'm not sure what more I should do at this point. There was one person who was a witness to the confrontation, she was at the bus stop and would have seen/heard everything, or at least could verify that I didn't threaten him with a weapon. I don't know her, but I was able to give the police a description of her. I have been completely forthcoming with the police, and I've decided to record any further conversations this neighbour and I have, but I don't know what more I could do to protect myself from such accusations.
    Tags: None

Re: Ongoing Dispute with Neighbour is Escalating

Bumped and highlighted.
    PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Re: Ongoing Dispute with Neighbour is Escalating

The "Harassment Act" is very useful in such cases. It states "Behaviour which you know or should know is likely to cause distress or alarm." Excessive continuous noise stopping you from enjoying your home is harassment. My argument is the noise abatement act is not the way forward it's actually the Harassment Act which is criminal not civil. Ditto with the abuse in a public place. Also with the accusations of being a pedofile. You need to get evidence to show the police, what I have done is to get a GoPro Hero 5 session video camera. It is a 4k (very high definition) camera. It has a one touch button which you press and it starts recording almost immediately. Also it is very small so you can have it in a trouser pocket for instance. You can whip it out at a moments notice, just hold it in your hand which you keep down by your side whilst recording without holding it up and pointing it at the subject, which is likely to escalate the incident. Just turn your hand in their direction to capture their behaviour. Also the landlord has some responsibility for his tenants in some cases. Social Housing Landlords like councils and Social Housing Trusts have an obligation under the Anti Social Behaviour act as it relates to Social Housing Landlords to stop ASB by their tenants.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X