• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Successor in title - conveyance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successor in title - conveyance

council house bought in 1990 and the conveyance contains covenants re supply of sewage disposal and payment thereof. The conveyance only states the seller as the specific District Council (not refer to successors in title), but he district council was wound up and dissolved in 2009, when thI new local government structure was brought in. The new council is threatening to sue for non payment of capital charges that occurred in 2006. Can we argue that only the district council named in the conveyance can sue? The new council says that they are the successors in title so they have have the right to pursue. Surely the conveyance would have to say District Council or their successors in title? Please help with any wording/argument on this particular point that we can try to use to deter them!
    Tags: None

Hello

I think we would need to see the whole of the wording. A restrictive covenant is generally a prohibitive action and is binding on successors whereas a positive covenant requires someone to do something i.e. pay a certain amount of money. Positive covenants are only binding to that specific party at the time, unless a Deed of Covenant is entered into.

Sometimes, positive covenants are drafted in a negative way but that does not mean it is a restrictive covenant. Once it is confirmed that it is a restrictive covenant then you would need to consider if it is enforceable. This would usually be set out something along the lines of "The Transferor covenants with the Transferee with the intent to bind the Transferor's adjoining land and each part of it into whatsoever hands they may come into and to benefit the property".

If you can post up the relevant covenant in question we might be able to identify if it is restrictive or positive but usually, a promise to do or pay would be a positive covenant e.g. to build and maintain a fence or to keep the grass on your front lawn to a length no higher than 500mm
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you Rob. Ive attached the original document containing the restrictive covenants which were referred to in the subsequent conveyance in 1988. The relevant covenant is in Schedule A. I will be very interested in your further comments. Many thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X