• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Death Threats to my parents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Threats to my parents

Firstly, I apologise if I have posted this thread in the wrong section.

Last week a cousin of mine who I have an injunction against banged on my parents door at 4am, swearing and threatening my kill my parents. My parents are elderly woke up and opened their bedroom windows to see it was my cousin who was banging on their door and telling them to open the door and come outside so he could kill them. This lasted for 10minutes my parents told him to go away. No I must add my father is a cancer patient and my father has nothing to do with my cousin as he was harassing me over a 10 year period. The threats were caught on my father's CCTV, police were called. My cousin was arrested and charged under the public disorder act and will be gong to a magistrates court. Just to add the CCTV has no audio.

Can somebody please give me advice what exactly will happen to court regarding the procedure? Will the CCTV evidence hold up in court? I ask this as there is no audio. Am I right in thinking the judge will just slap my cousin on the wrist and hand him a silly fine to pay?

Might I add regarding my cousin he has had past altercations with the whole of my family before including death threats

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

if anyone can offer any advice or assistance I would be greatful

Comment

The chances are this is being dealt with as a Section 4 or 4A or 5 offence under the Public Order Act 1986.

If it proceeds to court and if he is found guilty the range of penalties includes imprisonment, fines or community order
      If it doesn't reach court he may be bound over

The sentencing range can be found here: https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...ing-behaviour/
      Scroll down the list to "threatening behaviour"
      There are so many factors to take into consideration it isn't possible to second guess the magistrates decision (especially as you won't know if he is in a good or bad mood, or if he is or isn't a "hang them high " sort!)

Comment

This sounds like an incredibly traumatising episode for both yourself, and particularly your parents. I would imagine that if this was not the individual's first offence, they would be looking at least a fine. I wish both you and your parents all the very best.

- Jeff

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X