• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Slandered by Parish Council - no case to answer says governance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
    How long ago did this initially happen?
    What method do your PC use for recording the minutes?
    Meeting was 27th Feb but I was told about it so didn't go. I found out later, mid April, when I saw the minutes on the PC web site and read them. Minutes end up as a word doc. Not sure how they are recorded, pen and paper I assume although could be typed on laptop I guess.

My PC code of conduct is similar I guess. It covers the 7 Nolan principles as the all must. But it all relates to member code of conduct. The MO is claiming that PC conduct is different and separate from members' conduct.

Comment

Solicitors cost can run into a lot of money, would it not be worth joining here as a VIP where you could private message the minutes of the meeting to those experienced in such matters? I know there are a lot of people on here that can pick up on something that you might have missed(thinking outside the box)

Comment

Originally posted by beardsince1978 View Post

Not sure how they are recorded, pen and paper I assume although could be typed on laptop I guess.

It may be worth enquiring as a lot use voice recording of some description. Obviously I don't know of your locality circumstances but where I live the Parish Council Clerk is employed by various Parish Councils in the area and all meetings are recorded in this manner.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. They might I guess but I somehow doubt it as they don't seem that clever.

I think I have an answer though. The Parish Council is a corporate body (Local Government 1972 Act, s14). However the action of the Parish Council is (obviously) controlled by the councillors. And, one of the 7 Nolan Principles is accountability. It is in the the PC code of conduct, as it has to be. Accountability is defined as actions and decisions. It was the councillors decision to approve the minutes that approved the slander/libel and published that. It is the MO job to investigate breaches of code of conduct, so saying that the councillors are not accountable for their decision to approve the minutes is a breach of the code of conduct.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X