• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can an appeal increase sentence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an appeal increase sentence

If I appeal a magistrates court conviction but do not convince the crown court to quash that conviction can the crown court increase the punishment for the offence?
    Tags: None

Lose an appeal against conviction.... sentence unchanged
    Lose an appeal against sentence....sentence could be changed

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Lose an appeal against conviction.... sentence unchanged
      Lose an appeal against sentence....sentence could be changed
      I am not appealing the sentence as that was just an conditional discharge the conditions of which I have no issue with just the actual conviction as I believe there was a failure by the prosecution to properly disclose evidence that they intended to rely on.

Comment

Would that be better served as a complaint rather than an appeal ? des8
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Assuming you pleaded not guilty, and on the basis of the very slight information provided, it seems you may have a case for an appeal.
          I don't think a complaint will change anything..it has to be a higher court.
          If you lose your appeal you might have to pay the prosecutions costs.
          Bearing in mind the costs risk, and the minimal impact of the original finding I think professional advice should be sought

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            Assuming you pleaded not guilty, and on the basis of the very slight information provided, it seems you may have a case for an appeal.
            I don't think a complaint will change anything..it has to be a higher court.
            If you lose your appeal you might have to pay the prosecutions costs.
            Bearing in mind the costs risk, and the minimal impact of the original finding I think professional advice should be sought
            The problem for me is I work with Vulnerable Adults and need an enhanced DBS and this conviction which is classed as a crime against the person so could likely lose me my job.
            I also have got to my mid 50's with a totally clean record so I find it offensive that I can end up with a conviction based on bad evidence and a statement full of lies which I was not allowed to question the validity of or bring witness to prove it was lie which gave a bad impression of myself

Comment

In view of the affect this could have on your future, yes you should be looking to appeal, but I would still suggest obtaining proper legal advice.
              Good luck

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X