• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Police Officers Right to Offer Legal Advice About Civil Legal Matters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Officers Right to Offer Legal Advice About Civil Legal Matters

Can a Police Officer offer advice to a member of the public relating to a civil court matter? Are they actually trained and authorized to do this?
    Tags: None

Hi, I don't think police will interfere in civil matters unless there is some criminal matters involved in a civil claim.
    I doubt they have more than a small amount of knowledge of civil law.
    Why do you ask?
    nem

Comment

Originally posted by Photega View Post
      Can a Police Officer offer advice to a member of the public relating to a civil court matter? Are they actually trained and authorized to do this?
      I ask because a officer explained to my ex partner that a Mediated agreement we had in a civil court for our dog was not a court agreement and as it was only a mediated agreement she was not obliged to comply with the order.
      He then went on to explain which legal forms would be needed to complete a request to bring the matter back to the Civil courts and until this was done by myself she could continue to frustrate that original agreement and force me to spend money going back to court.
      I do not feel he should be offering such detailed legal advice nor giving my partner the false impression that she could continue to frustrate the order and should wait for me to pay to take the matter back to court

Comment

His advice seems a little flawed as an agreement reached in mediation that results in a written document by both parties will be a legally enforceable contract , binding on both parties provided conditions are met.

If you need to apply to court to have the agreement enforced she could end up paying your costs

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X