• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Flood Grants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flood Grants

Tricky one to explain but i'll try my best.

So I was flooded out by Storm Desmond.
    Due to this flood the Government offered £5,000 grant for flood resilience work. I went to a company called the Business Emergency Resilience Group (BERG). They agreed to come and carry out a survey. This survey was free but would be added to my bill if I carried out the work via themselves. All seemed fine as they took care of everything. BERG employed Adler & Allan to carry out the survey and subsequent work.

When they came to carry out the survey I asked about building a flood wall at the rear of the house to prevent rising flood water reaching my house (just a small terrace house). They agreed it would be a good idea. They continued and offered more work to be carried out such as water proofing walls, non return valves on all pipework and in the drain. Sealing of pipework entering building. I then explained that I only had the £5,000 grant money so didn't want the bill going over that. I was informed it was ok as Cumbria Community Foundation (CCF) offered top up of up to £2,000 for any work that goes over the £5,000. Straight away I thought I knew what these companies were doing. Inflating prices as they knew all the money was coming from grants etc. Anyway, as I was under the impression it wasn't costing me anything and would all help in preventing water getting into my house the next time it floods, I accepted the work.

Following completion of the work I requested an invoice as I informed them I would need to get this top up fund as my bill came in well over the £5,000 (I'm actually amazed it has given it was a small wall, a pump, 2 gates and some silicone sealant around 3 entry points into house). A few days later I got the invoice, I then sent my application for the top up fund. This was immediately returned saying they no longer offer this top up fund. So this now left me with a bill of slightly over £2,200. For something I wasn't expecting I was rather annoyed.

Adler & Allen are now chasing this money. I explained my situation and how I wasn't happy.

This is the reply:
    in respect of the extra funding, to be fair, I can understand why you’re feeling somewhat aggrieved. When you were informed that a claim could be made to the CCF for a top-up grant, this information was correct at the time of your install, and given in good faith. Unfortunately, the CCF is an independent body and were under no guidelines as to when they could stop accepting funding applications. They chose, somewhat arbitrarily in my opinion, the 30th September. If I remember correctly, they gave us about 3 days’ notice. Given the date of your invoice, and the fact you probably didn’t receive it until a few days later, now leaves us in this predicament.

As a goodwill gesture, I will knock both the sealing of cable entry points, and the water resistant masonry treatment from your invoice. This is a saving of £454.50, and leaves a debt of £1,745.73.

You state you require some time to make this payment? In that light, I am able to offer the following payment plans:
    1. 50% payment now, with the remaining 50% in 30 days
    2. 3 monthly instalments of £581.91 with the first instalment to be within 7 days

If you are unable to commit to either of these options, this matter will then be escalated to our Credit Control department.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

I'm just wondering what are the legalities of this? I have said I'll try get it paid via option 2 but I really am struggling each month now.
    I am going to try get it paid, but it still really annoys me how i'm now (or will be) out of pocket by £1,700 where I wasn't expecting anything. I also wouldn't have agreed to any work that was going to cost me.

I'm probably clutching at straws, but I can only ask.
    Is this something i'm just unlucky with and will have to pay, or is this something I can argue?

Thanks in advance
    David
    Last edited by Dava02; 14th February 2018, 14:02:PM.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X