• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I've done something very stupid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've done something very stupid

Long story short. I went to Argos bought a laptop and swooped it for an old one. I sold the other one as ive recently lost my job and am under huge financial pressure and didn' want to lose my home.

Argos have sincefound out and contacted me and although I went in and gave them the money back have passed the details onto the police. What should I do next and what is the likely penalty. I am very remorseful but I was just desperate to keep my home.

I come from a professional background so are the police likely to contact a new employer with his information as that would stop me working in the field I work in.

I just need some advice on how I can fix this massive mess. I feel like killing myself at the moment in that wracked with remorse guilt and worry. 8 made a mistake but don' want it to destroy my life. Please help.me whlith what I can do.
    Tags: None

So to get this clear, you bought a laptop and then swapped it for an old one before returning it to Argos? Or did you swap one of their display laptops for an old one?

It depends what your profession is on whether the police will be obliged to report anything to a future employer.

Although this is worrying for you and it will have consequences, nothing in life is worth getting to a point of wanting to kill yourself. If you can't work in your current profession then you'll find work in another.

If this is pursued and goes to court, the fact you have repaid Argos and early admission of guilt will stand in your favour. I assume this is your first brush with the law given your upset and therefore your previous good character will also stand in your favour.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

I swooped one in a box for an old one and returned it as new. I've paid them back but know they are going to talk to the police. I'm going to admit what I did as that's the right thing to do but just wanted some advice. Not to get out of it but to minimise the damage to my future career etc.

I know I did wrong I listened to someone I shouldn't have when desperate for money. It was wrong and I will take my punishment. My concern is my profession as a consultant within civil service which pays for our home car kids etc. As sole earner I have always provided and now worry we lose everything. That's why I did it.

yes it's the first brush with police

Comment

If the police invite you to attend for an interview, do not go alone.
        Only attend with a solicitor, either your own or the duty solicitor.

This is presumably a first offence, you have admitted it and made restitution.
        Under those circumstances IMO you would not be prosecuted as it would not be in the public interest and it is hardly the crime of the century.
        The solicitor will ensure your rights are safeguarded, and that you present yourself in the best light possible.
        I suspect you will be given a caution, or even there might be no further action.
        Here's a link to how minor offences are dealt with: https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/minor-offences

Comment

It may also be the case you don’t hear from the Police, as I’m sure you know they are having to achieve a lot with a lot less resources these days. Argos have their money and you haven’t gained anything.

However, you might get letters from a company called RLP (or similar) proporting that they have issued you a fine and you must pay it. DO NOT PAY.

Yes you feel guilty, but Argos have suffered no loss and what ever “costs” they claim have been incurred are rubbish.

If you receive such a letter and are worried, come back here and post a pic of it (with personal info removed) and get advice.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Interesting and I knew I had read something similar before. I assume this is the incident you are referring to where you said they refused to give you a refund after buying a laptop with a second hand one in the box

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...chased-an-item

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
              Interesting and I knew I had read something similar before. I assume this is the incident you are referring to where you said they refused to give you a refund after buying a laptop with a second hand one in the box

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...chased-an-item
              The plot thickens...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X