• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bet company settlement - are they now liable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bet company settlement - are they now liable?

Originally posted by meellis View Post
    The only thing for you at the moment is the fact that the account still hasn't been opened but could they mitigate that because you are now back in dispute?
    What do you mean please?

I do believe the lack of specification is the issue here - do you think that is in my favour? I certainly relied on what they told me. If they were not going to reinstate the account Friday they should have told me.

They were contacted in the online chat at 11pm Friday night - and asked to reopen the account repeatedly. They stated they didn't have the ability to do so.

Comment

Well I think your first approach should be to exhaust their complaints procedure, if necessary escalate it to their CEO.
      Point out they agreed a settlement, which was to be made by a certain date.
      The settlement has still not been made
      On the basis of that settlement being made as agreed you took certain steps which, as the settlement was not made cost you. £xx
      Further you lost the opportunity to place winning bets (your intention to place then is evidenced by ......) and so you missed winning £xx.
      You anticipate they will reimburse your costs and missed opportunity, besides actually making the settlement
      Certainly wouldn't be talking about court action yet

Comment

We are not yet back in dispute btw - I have not made an official complaint about this nor asked them/threatened them with the repercussions of breaching our agreement.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by EXC View Post
        I might be missing something but if this is the case why did you invest in tips on the strength that they told you that your account would be open by the end of the day?
        I followed the tipster I bought the tips from the previous three days. Every tip I bought those days won.

In anticipation of the free bets being ready to use and because the tipster was on a roll, I bought his four available tips that day to use that night.

They all won.

Last night, for example, I bought two more, one lost (first losing tip I have seen of his).

Comment

Can I ask what sport you are betting on?

Comment

Ice Hockey.

Comment

What I'm saying is that taking their word that the account would reopen by the end of the day with the free bets in place and buying tips on reliance of it when you knew they had form giving you completely the wrong information was a gamble in itself.

Comment

What I was saying was that they have stated that it should be in the account "today". If you contacted them at 11pm on the Friday, assuming that Friday was the day for reinstatement (today), then they technically still had until 12pm until Friday became Saturday. You might have more of a case if they had stated that your account would have been reinstated by 6pm for instance and you would have easily been able to place the bets within time but as it has been said you paid for the tips in the hope that your account would have been open within time not with the knowledge or strict contract to say that it would be. To me the only thing they have done against the agreement at the moment is not re-open the account with the free bets by the close of day the agreement was made for.

Comment

I disagree. Going forward I would say the impetus was on them to make sure they got things absolutely right from the settlement on.

Dropping the ball again reflects badly on them and is shameful, really.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, they told me Friday noon the bets would be "in my account today."

- - - Updated - - -

AND ... the account was not open as of midnight - they told me in the online chat I had to ask a supervisor via email and a Supervisor was not in until the next day 7am.

I didn't have to ask a supervisor in any case. It was all taken care of that day as far as I am concerned.

Comment

We will have to agree to disagree then. They have wronged you if they haven't honoured the agreement and reopened the account with the promised free bets. As for compensation for the lack of being able to place the potentially winning bets then I cannot see anything in what you have posted that tells me they have guaranteed you that they would have had your account opened and the free bets in place in time for you to make the bets.

Comment

I thought that I didn't need them to necessarily know I am placing THESE bets at THIS time. I relied on being able to use the free bets at the time of the account being reopened, as advised, so is that not enough to make a case? Given that it should be easily within their ability to for-see that I am going to use the free bets to place bets lol

Comment

I'm not so sure.

OP was assured certain things would happen by a certain day and time.
                        On the basis of that assurance he purchased certain information with a view to making bets after that day and time.
                        If matters had progressed as per the assurance he would have made certain games.
                        However the other party did not complete their side of the agreement so OP suffered a loss of chance

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                          I'm not so sure.

OP was assured certain things would happen by a certain day and time.
                          On the basis of that assurance he purchased certain information with a view to making bets after that day and time.
                          If matters had progressed as per the assurance he would have made certain games.
                          However the other party did not complete their side of the agreement so OP suffered a loss of chance
                          That is my read on it. I think they might try and weasel out by saying they placed the bets in a closed account and had not said specifically it would be opened, but what is the point of a closed account with 1K of free bets to use?

Comment

Originally posted by dido View Post
                            That is my read on it. I think they might try and weasel out by saying they placed the bets in a closed account and had not said specifically it would be opened, but what is the point of a closed account with 1K of free bets to use?

In post you stated "the terms of our settlement were that the account would be reopened " as if this was an agreed term.
                            You are now suggesting it was an implied term, but I would agree with your rhetorical question.

Although IMO you have an argument, don't assume that it is necessarily a winning argument.
                            Court is a bit of a lottery (but as a betting man that might appeal to you) and a win is rarely certain.

Comment

Des, as you put in post "after that date and time" I feel Dido would have a better case but the way I am reading it dido contacted the betting company at 11pm on the day it was due to be reinstated. In a way until that day had finished the betting company still had chance to honour the agreement but would dido still have had the chance to place the bets and also at the same odds. Because the company hadn't reopened the account by the end of that day they haven't honoured the agreement but does that make them liable for losses from being unable to make the bets. Personally it would have been different if the company had said the account would have been reopened before the last person with authority to do so finished work on that day and you knew that person finished at 6pm.

Comment

I tried to place the bets 11pm. Account closed. Contacted them - nothing doing until 7am the next day.

Bets could have been placed even when the games were playing. Odds would only vary according to how the games were going . Games started 1am Saturday morning.

I dont think it comes into it re: last person with authority. He told me "today." He is the only one of us who knows whether it can be reopened by any such person who can reopen it.

I'm guessing general shoddiness and disorganisation came into play.
                                Last edited by dido; 12th November 2017, 20:35:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X