• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice needed regarding childcare after separation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed regarding childcare after separation

Hi All,

I wonder if someone would know an answer to this. We are due to visit a solicitor sometime next week to get more answers but we need an answer to the following question as soon as we can please.

My girlfriend has separated with her ex around 10 months ago. They were never married and have two children. Since separation her ex would take kids every weekend for a night sleepover to his place. He wasn't having much of a different contact nor was he trying to control her daily activities until he found out that I have met the children. Since then everything changed as he became more of a bully when it comes to any arrangements regarding kids. There is no childcare agreement of any sorts nor they have ever visited any solicitors or mediations to draw a parenting plan. Both children were born after 2003 and have both mother's and father's name in birth certificates.

She is about to start her new job which would require her to work two nights per week. She has kindly asked her ex if he would be able to look after both children for some of nights to which he declined stating his work schedule will mean children will not have enough of sleep (though he refuses to ask for a flexible working hours at workplace). She did say then she will find someone to look after children for those two nights that she will be working and he threw a massive tantrum. He is claiming that his solicitors advised that she is not allowed to leave children with anyone else without his prior acceptance. Would that be true knowing they had no agreements in place at all.

Tags: None

Hi Robkeleuk,
    As both parent's have parental responsibility they should consult each other on major decisions for example medical treatment, religion etc but day to day living decisions are perfectly legitimately made by the parent who has residence at that time. Otherwise you would end up with ridiculous situations such as one parent dictating clothing worn etc
    If he has such an issue about it then he can make an application to the Court but they will be less than sympathetic. If he saw a lawyer about it I would expect them to be saying the same to him.
    This link may help:https://www.gingerbread.org.uk/wp-co...onsibility.pdf
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Many thanks Peridot!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X