• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Husband wants to sell house and keep cheap mortgage for himself

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husband wants to sell house and keep cheap mortgage for himself

Hi we put house on market (old house we had but rented out) for my husband to move down and buy new house together. (mortgage was in his name as I wasn’t working when we bought it) He’s decided he’s not moving down, I think he wants divorce, and he wants to port mortgage for himself to get house in his name to give family member the advantage of this cheap mortgage. While I wil be left with having to take new mortgage with a difference to pay of £650 a month. Can I stop the sale. Thanks for any help.
    Tags: None

If the mortgage and deeds are in his name then no as he is the owner, so can sell if he pleases.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Is the house registered in joint names, or solely husband's?
      (And before anyone says anything HSBC used to (still may) allow this with the non borrowing owner signing over security)

Also you might have a beneficial interest in it.
      Have you personally ever lived in the property? Have you directly or indirectly contributed to it?

Comment

It’s in his name, we lived in it for 8 years as married couple, I couldn’t work at the time as I had new baby when it was bought but we ran self employed business together.

Comment

I doubt if you could stop the sale of the house outright, but there is probably an argument to be made that you share in any of the equity.
          I would suggest you take professional advice, perhaps just one (free or fixed rate)) session with a solicitor to see where you stand.
          You might find a local solicitor on out sister website https://justbeagle.com/

Incidentally although he may wish to port the mortgage, there is no guarantee that he will be able.
          He will have to reapply and so may not qualify now that mortgage requirements have toughened, he may not be able to borrow sufficient or he may get a higher rate.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X