• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.

Reporting an accident to the polce

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reporting an accident to the polce

    I was recently involved in a car accident where i hit another vehicle. The woman driver of the other vehicle did not get out of her car and only spoke through her lowered window. All she said was "Oh shit" i advised her that as she was stopped on aa pedestrian crossing we should move a little and exchange details. With that she drove off. I repprted this to the police straight away. But while there she rang in. My question is did she break the law by leaving the scene . the police just said she had 24 hours to report it. If she was drunk at the time or not the insured driver i would never have know as she drove off. I dodnt even have time to get photo evidence she was gone so quick.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Re: Reporting an accident to the polce

    This happened to me too. I had a hit and run at a roundabout.

    When I attended the police station, they told me the driver had 24 hours to report it or they would be commiting an offence. If the driver had no insurance and came forward they would become involved, if they had insurance it would just be swapping details.

    I got a call within 24 hours from the police just confirming what they had said and a letter 7 days later saying as I had no details there was nothing they could do but I was in the clear of any wrongdoing.
    Those who don't believe in Magic will never find it! - Roald Dahl

    Tears are not a sign of weakness they are a sign of having been too strong too long! - Unknown

    You are not disabled by your disability but made able by your abilities. - Oscar Pistorius





    Find family law specialists that offer fixed fee services on our sister site;
    justbeagle logo

    Fixed fees for Divorce or Dissolution of your Civil Partnership will vary depending on whether you are the Petitioner (issuing the Divorce Petition) or the Respondent (you received Divorce Petition).

    The fixed fees may be available for the whole process or as packaged fees to deal with different stages of the divorce including preparing the divorce petition.
    See more
    See less

    upgrade to vip

    Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

    only £15/yr

    Offers available. No subscription traps.

    sign up now

    Resolver is a free automated complaints system that can help with all kinds of consumer complaints - including missold PPI and Package Bank Accounts.

    make a complaint

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm