• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.

Recent split

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Recent split

    Hello All

    Well this is mine field, I am looking to seek advice on the below matters , I have recently split from my partner of 6 years who is suffering from anxiety and depression now its been discovered for the last 3 years on average. I am needing to know just what happens in her financial situation as i have to move out and luckily have very understanding MD who has become guarantor for a new flat.
    My existing situation is she has no job or employment. we have signed up for 2 yr contract in May this year. I was asked to leave only only 9 days ago.
    She has already told me she will get signed off like that ! with her depression and anxiety etc . I have always worked my entire life and fortunate to be in a position where she didn't need to work.
    If she is signed off for the above can anyone advise if she will have the rent covered ? or how much she will be entitled to from the government ? I understand we both now qualify for single occupancy on council tax ?. I believe this should be -25% ?
    Sorry i have no idea of the ins and outs of the government hand out system and fine it a total minefield.
    Also can she claim any rights to payments i mean intentionally in malice if she desired ? I was step father too 2 lovely children and insisted straight away i could see them once a month ?.
    Would I have any claim or do I have no rights ?

    Sorry to ask, as I need to check every penny as with this property and actually wanting to care for the roof over their heads I just need some honest concrete answers as many people think they know but so conflicting !
    Much appreciated if anyone has the time to help

    Thank You
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Re: Recent split


    Sorry to hear of your situation and the concern for you ex is admirable, so many splits end selfishly and with people at war. Turn2us have a benefits calculator, this allows your ex or you to input all of the infomation about her situation and will advise what is available to her, it's here: https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

    Unfortunately unless you have adopted or have parental rights to the children I don't think you have any legal right to see them. All you can do is hope that she allows you to see them both for their benefit as I'm sure they have grown attached to you and yours as clearly you have them.
    My posts on this forum are offered based on my experience dealing with a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training and if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact the CAB. If you follow anything I write on this forum you do so at your own risk and I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other out comes.


    • #3
      Re: Recent split


      Hopefully contact between you and the children will take place as agreed. If problems arise, you would be advised to first seek to resolve these via family mediation. If mediation failed to resolve the problem, you could apply to the court for a contact order ( now called a child arrangements order) as you have lived with the children for more than 3 years. The court would make whatever order was considered to be in the best interests of the children. I hope that this gives you some reassurance.





      Find family law specialists that offer fixed fee services on our sister site;
      justbeagle logo

      Fixed fees for Divorce or Dissolution of your Civil Partnership will vary depending on whether you are the Petitioner (issuing the Divorce Petition) or the Respondent (you received Divorce Petition).

      The fixed fees may be available for the whole process or as packaged fees to deal with different stages of the divorce including preparing the divorce petition.
      See more
      See less

      upgrade to vip

      Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

      only £15/yr

      Offers available. No subscription traps.

      sign up now

      Resolver is a free automated complaints system that can help with all kinds of consumer complaints - including missold PPI and Package Bank Accounts.

      make a complaint

      Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

      Find a Law Firm