• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.

Change of name by Deed Poll (for government use)

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Change of name by Deed Poll (for government use)

    Hi there
    I have contacted the DVLA today enquiring about changing a persons name on there driving license
    And the form to be filled in is the D1/ D2 form. The leaflet (guidelines) state one must do so by Deed Poll.
    I have goggled the term "deed Poll" and there are many variation on what a Deed Poll is and who approves or witnesses it. So I am unclear on what the DVLA want from me!

    I did however phone the DVLA twice today! The first person told me that they do not except deed poll via a solicitor and it can only be done by a registry office. And second person I spoke to said it must be done by a solicitor.

    Dose anyone have any information on this please?

    Tags: None

  • #2
    Re: Change of name by Deed Poll (for government use)

    Hi Batista230,
    You can obtain a change of name deed from a solicitors. It is a deed confirming your previous name and the name you wish to be known by going forward that is signed and witnessed. The document can then be used to prove change of name for the DVLA together with their completed D1/2 form. You will need to send the original change of name deed or a certified copy (certified by solicitors office) However, sometimes they will only accept an original. I would send by registered post if an original is going with the application.
    Most solicitors firms will be able to prepare the short document and meet with you to sign and witness the same.
    Hope that helps.
    I am a qualified solicitor employed by the LegalBeagles forum to provide guidance on a wide range of legal queries. I am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

    Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

    If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.


    • #3
      Re: Change of name by Deed Poll (for government use)

      I changed my own name via deed poll a few years ago. It was done at a solicitors and all I had to do was go in and fill out a form stating what my previous and new names were, then sign it.

      I can't actually think of a time I needed to produce the certificate tho' ... I just informed everyone of my new name and that was that.
      Debt is like any other trap, easy enough to get into, but hard enough to get out of.

      It doesn't matter where your journey begins, so long as you begin it...

      recte agens confido


      Any advice I provide is given without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

      I can be emailed if you need my help loading pictures/documents to your thread. My email address is kati@legalbeagles.info
      But please include a link to your thread so I know who you are.

      Specialist advice can be sought via our sister site JustBeagle





      Find family law specialists that offer fixed fee services on our sister site;
      justbeagle logo

      Fixed fees for Divorce or Dissolution of your Civil Partnership will vary depending on whether you are the Petitioner (issuing the Divorce Petition) or the Respondent (you received Divorce Petition).

      The fixed fees may be available for the whole process or as packaged fees to deal with different stages of the divorce including preparing the divorce petition.
      See more
      See less

      upgrade to vip

      Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

      only £15/yr

      Offers available. No subscription traps.

      sign up now

      Resolver is a free automated complaints system that can help with all kinds of consumer complaints - including missold PPI and Package Bank Accounts.

      make a complaint

      Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

      Find a Law Firm