• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Divorce

    Need some advice on divorce please. My ex wife and i seperated august 2013. I applied for a divorce september 2016 on the basis my ex wife agreed to 2 years seperation. She has received the papers but now changed her mind. I havent received the acknowledgement of service after 18 days from the court posting it. She is ignorning all texts and conversations now about it. I just want to move on.. do i have to amend the divorce? Im not sure where to go from here as i dont want to shell out on a solicitor.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Re: Divorce

    Hi, there are several options when applying for the divorce. As you already know you can obtain a divorce after a two year separation with the consent of the other party. Without their consent the decree will not be granted. The other options you may wish to consider would be to wait five years, when a divorce would be granted without your ex's consent or to amend your application to obtain the divorce on the basis of the other persons unreasonable behaviour. You would need to provide about 4-5 examples of the unreasonable behaviour, which should be backed up with specifics that weren't too long ago. I would reckoned you obtain some legal advice on amending your application if this is a course of action available to you. You may be able to get a free half hour or reduced fee initial interview to point you in the right direction. The courts do provide various leaflets on divorce proceedings that may be helpful.
    I am a qualified solicitor employed by the LegalBeagles forum to provide guidance on a wide range of legal queries. I am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

    Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

    If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.


    • #3
      Re: Divorce

      Dear Fudge

      Has your wife said she won't complete the acknowledgement of service form? She may have done it and sent it to the court and it may be a delay with the court.

      If your wife is truly refusing to sign the paperwork then all is not lost. It is possible to issue another petition immediately based on her unreasonable behaviour and within that petition ask for the previous petition to be dismissed.

      You probably didn't claim your costs in the 2 years separation petition because it was by consent but you can claim your costs in a behaviour petition.

      I would e-mail your wife ( I am a great believer in clear, strong letters) saying that if she doesn't confirm to you with evidence ( ie a copy and date of postage) that she has sent off the acknowledgement of service form you will issue a new petition based on her unreasonable behaviour, seek legal advice ( you can do this or not later as you want) and make a claim for costs against her. obviously you can say that you really don't want to do this but would be left with not alternative.

      Hopefully she'll complete the form then! If not you may have to take action.

      Kind regards,

      I work for Howlett Clarke Solicitors . Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability. If you are unsure please seek formal legal guidance.





      Find family law specialists that offer fixed fee services on our sister site;
      justbeagle logo

      Fixed fees for Divorce or Dissolution of your Civil Partnership will vary depending on whether you are the Petitioner (issuing the Divorce Petition) or the Respondent (you received Divorce Petition).

      The fixed fees may be available for the whole process or as packaged fees to deal with different stages of the divorce including preparing the divorce petition.
      See more
      See less

      upgrade to vip

      Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

      only £15/yr

      Offers available. No subscription traps.

      sign up now

      Resolver is a free automated complaints system that can help with all kinds of consumer complaints - including missold PPI and Package Bank Accounts.

      make a complaint