• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Child passport application

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child passport application

My daughter wants to apply for a passport for her 3 year old son as I have booked a trip to Portugal for them in the summer; the child's father has refused to give her his passport number for the application, saying he wants other conditions agreed to before i) he consents to her taking the child abroad and ii) he provides the passport number. The child lives with her and the father has him overnight once a fortnight.
    Does my daughter have to seek his consent to take the child abroad for a week?
    Can the father prevent my daughter from applying for a passport for the child?
    Tags: None

Re: Child passport application

Hi Charlie and welcome

There is information about taking a child abroad here https://www.gov.uk/permission-take-child-abroad and obtaining a child passport here https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport

Essentially, yes, unless there is a court order already covering the issue, if he has PR then his consent is needed to take the child abroad or a court order.

It appears that anyone with PR can obtain a passport.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie54 View Post
      My daughter wants to apply for a passport for her 3 year old son as I have booked a trip to Portugal for them in the summer; the child's father has refused to give her his passport number for the application, saying he wants other conditions agreed to before i) he consents to her taking the child abroad and ii) he provides the passport number. The child lives with her and the father has him overnight once a fortnight.
      Does my daughter have to seek his consent to take the child abroad for a week?
      Can the father prevent my daughter from applying for a passport for the child?
      What conditions has the father asked for to agree to allowing their daughter to leave the country for a week? and for giving his passport number to allow an application for a passport?

You may need to look at both sides here, would you expect the child's father to ask permission to take the child abroad or just go without your daughter giving her consent and blessing? While the child lives with your daughter, both parents have equal parental responsibility (if the father is named on the birth certificate or has been given PR via court order etc)

Comment

The child's father is very bitter and every conversation is a difficult one; he wants a guarantee in writing that he can take the child on holiday for 4 nights before he starts school in September, which is not s problem anyway! He says he is afraid because of recent aeroplane crashes! But he still don't provide his passport number so that the passport can be applied for!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X