• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I feel used and embarrassed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel used and embarrassed

Hi all i would like to post my story and see if it is worthwhile in pursuing this

I had an accident at work which happened about 7 years ago now, and unfortunately I had to give up my job due to the seriousness of it. I decided to go for compensation as it was not my fault and an out of court settlement was agreed on of just over £100k. It took about 4 years before I got the money as I had to do all the usual procedures like attending medicals etc, during this period our only son was very helpful in taking me to places as the accident left me unsafe to drive anymore. He was also great in helping out in little DIY jobs that I could no longer do myself, it was much appreciated as he had only just got married but we always gave him a few quid for his troubles.

My solicitors had to do a sort of impact report for my former employers insurance company, this is basically a list of things that I now have to rely on other people to do for me now, and in the future, as I will never work again and a costing for these jobs are listed which helps them decide on the compensation offered. Obviously most of the jobs listed were currently being undertaken by my son, and it was also expected he would continue to do so as far as he was able to what with work and married life commitments. I did explain to him how the compensation was being calculated and that I would give him a lump sum once settlement was reached.

He has never had much financial acumen about him and by the time I got paid out he owed £8,500 to his bank and a couple of credit cards, I told him I would give him the money to clear all his debts and allow him to make a fresh start. He managed to get a very good job but it meant travelling 70 miles a day and he and his wife were currently sharing their car as they both worked local. I offered to buy him a car for work to help them out, I must point out he never asked for the car I just thought it would be a nice thing to do for them. I allowed him to pick it for himself and I paid the garage £3,500, by this time with other little things I got for him I had spent around £13 - £14k.

Last year he discovered he was going to be a dad, we were delighted for them as we thought his wife would not be able to have children. Also during this period he got promoted to management level at his job and things really seemed to be on the up for him. Our grandaughter was born last December and my wife went to see them all in hospital, I didn't as I do not go out much due to my injury and I really don't like to leave our dog on his own. After a week I expected him to bring the baby to see us but he said he wouldn't because I smoked and he was frightened of the baby being exposed to this which I fully understand, I agreed I would smoke only outside in future to avoid any problem. He then said he would still not bring her because of the dog passing on something. After a couple of weeks the wife could not contact him anymore he had stopped answering his phone and we did not know why.

He told my wife's sister that he had blocked our numbers and we were never going to see our grandchild again (I have actually never seen her) and the reason given is that I think more of my dog than I do my grandaughter. He was very angry that I never left the dog in the house and went to see them at his house with my wife. I can understand it in one way but I think he is being extreme in his response, he knows the dog was unwell (in fact he had to be put to sleep last month) and I did not like leaving him. I feel I have been a decent dad but they are now telling people I have never done anything for him!!!!! how he soon forgets the bailout. My wife sent the grandchild an Easter card last week with some money in it and it has been returned by recorded delivery, in my book that is the final straw as my wife is heart broken.

He seems to have turned into some sort of snob and has no contact with anyone from my wife's family and virtually nobody from my family except his wealthy grandmother, and I believe he only sees her to see what he can get as he has never had any time for her before. It hurts me to say it but I think he has become a user and has taken me for whatever he could get and this has left me so angry. I really want to hurt him for the distress he has caused for his mother and the only way I can think of is through his pocket. Do you think I could get a solicitor to get him to court and try and get the money back he has had off me or is it just tough luck on my part? There is a paper trail that proves what he has had and don't forget part of my settlement was made under the presumption of further help he would provide for me.

Your input would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: I feel used and embarrassed

Hi, a sorry state to be in, but one that is all too familiar I'm sorry to say!!
    You could attempt to recover some of the money but personally I think it would be a waste of
    time and money.
    The money you provided was not loaned no it seems were any obligations attached to the provision
    of the funds, in your own words you presumed that the help your son provided would continue.
    I would doubt that he would have funds to pay you.
    Yes you have a paper trail but no commitments from your son it seem.
    We are estranged from our youngest son and his family and know of no reason
    for the situation.
    I think any form of retribution in this situation is futile and will certainly add more
    hard feelings and make any chance of reconciliation impossible.

nem

Comment

I agree with Nem above

The money was given to him as thank you for his help with DIY and jobs, and you offered to buy them a car as a gift to help out. I think chasing the money will go nowhere.

Give it a chance for the dust to settle and write him a letter explaining everything, how you feel, explain about the dog and anything he seems to have a gripe over. If he doesnt reply or returns it, then you can do no more I am afraid.

Comment

Hi reading your story is so sad it's not always about the money...I have two friends who are sisters they also fell out one had a baby..she wouldn't let her near it because she also smoked...so this sister agreed not to smoke and insured her car so she could drive her own sister around...they fell out over money too and to top it the sister who objected to smoke..was caught smoking...they have made up and the sister never paid her back she has spent a fortune on her niece etc...in life we only have one father (and I miss mine so much... He used to drive me nuts smoking....he smoked all his life and drove til the day he died at 80yrs of age...but he was still DAD
        try to be strong this is only a blip and I'm sure your son knows the truth....
        can you not get a friend relative to have a chat....it's childish to return a gift and I'm sure when he sent it back that emotion lasted for a minute....you can change the truth....
        he seems to have anger in his heart but remember that is temporary it takes too much oxygen to stay angry...just keep loving him....remember you were his mentor
        hes not ready to talk or receive you....
        forget the money ....you won't be teaching him a lesson....
        the main thing is he still cares about you otherwise he wouldn't show an emotion of anger...if you know what I mean...

Dads are the best and mums too.....
        I'm sending you a hug as I miss my Dad

Comment

I feel very sorry for your situation, but i would do as others have said just leave it as it is, i wouldnt ask for the money back, and doubt if he would have it, and could make a situation that could possibly be repaired ,worse
          Sometimes these things happen and it might not be your son but his wife who is at the bottom of all this
          I have a son who has disowned me ,because of a comment my mother made years ago, he wanted to live with his father after our divorce, so he did, but i said he could come back to me if he ever wanted to, by the time he did ,i was married again and my husband wouldnt have him, but it seems my mother told him that i made him live with his father, , he doesnt remember asking me if he could, so in his eyes i didnt want him, he has another brother and sister, who wanted to live with me
          He used to visit me when he grew up, but when he got married for the second time his wife rang me and told me he didnt want anything else to do with me, and mentioned what my mother had said, i dont know if my mother actiually thought i made him live with his father or whether she got muddled,she was in her 70-80s when she said this,
          All i can do is not think about it, plus another thing was that his fathers 2nd wife was an alcoholic and i think intercepted any money i sent him for birthdays ,xmas etc, so he assumed i didnt send it, so i am a bad mother apparently

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X