• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

my child visiting her dad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my child visiting her dad

Hi, I have left an abusive relationship with my daughter's dad, he was a drinker. He is currently living with his mum and wants to see my daughter. I have asked for him to go to court for access rights as I don't trust that if he has her he will give her back, also there is no proof he is off the drink, only his families words. They are saying they can't afford to go court and want me to sign a parental right firm but I am very hesitant please help what are my options?.
    Tags: None

Re: my child visiting her dad

Hello Matilda.
    I am afraid I do not know a lot about your legal position but I am sure someone will come along soon with the right smarts. How old is your daughter? Is she old enough to want to see her Dad? I know it is very hard to rebuild your life after living in the hell of an abusive relationship and, yes, it would be nice to metaphorically wipe all traces of this off your shoes but it is not so easy when the person you want to ‘delete from your history’ is the parent of the child you love. Is there any way of finding a compromise that does not involve going to court? In family matters I just think it is better all-round if legal action is the last resort. Is there a third party and a neutral location where your ex could spend supervised time with your daughter? This is not about giving him what he wants and I do not think you are selfish to not want him to have any contact; that is simply sensible parenting. After all who among us would want to expose our children to what we have seen is a volatile person regardless of any ‘legal rights’. If you can write formally to him and propose something that you are reasonably (naturally not totally) but reasonably comfortable with and it still ends up as a court battle then at least you can show you tried. In the mean time, here is a big hug for you!:_tighthug__by_darkm

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
    ~ Anonymous

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X