• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disability Discrimination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability Discrimination

Last year I was put on a performance improvement plan (PIP) and I was told I was no longer allowed to have my phone or listen to music while at my desk while everyone one else is allowed. During the PIP I informed my employer I was dyslexic and I wanted responsible adjustments under the equality act. I have received no further comment about the PIP or my dyslexia but I was reminded that I am not allowed to have my phone at my desk. Is this allowed or would this be classified as disability discrimination. My issue is not really about my phone but feeling like I'm being singled out.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Disability Discrimination

I'll give [MENTION=51026]Ula[/MENTION] a shout for you.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Hi
        You say everyone else listens to music at their desk
        Do they also have their phones?

As for your dyslexia - what adjustments are you requesting, is it related to your dyslexia ?

I'm sure Ula will be able to offer some sound advice

Comment

Yes, everyone in the office including managers occasionally look at their phones and most members of staff listen to staff. I asked for reasonable adjustments and they said they would get an expert who was qualified to make recommendations but they have failed to even mansion it since. During the PIP I felt I was very close to getting fired.

Comment

Originally posted by gm1985 View Post
            Last year I was put on a performance improvement plan (PIP) ..[I can't] have my phone or listen to music while at my desk while everyone one else is allowed...During the PIP I informed my employer I was dyslexic and I wanted responsible adjustments under the equality act...My issue is not really about my phone but feeling like I'm being singled out.
            Hi,

Do you think that your dislexia made you perform less well or was it listening to music?

Is your performance measurably worse than others or are they being nasty to you for some reason? What reason might that be?

Did you not tell the employer about your disability for a reason, maybe you were embarrassed? Did the putting you on the PIP kind of "force your hand"?

All this is confidential but folks can't help you if you aren't open...

Viking

Comment

The trouble started when I got a new line manager who was much more strict in how I have do my work which I initially struggled with, I don't really no if my performance is linked to my dyslexia and I believe listening to music helps me block out other distractions within the office. My employer has managed to push other weaker workers out leaving me as the worst performing employee. My dyslexia is something I don't like talking about and have not had to deal with it since school which is why I didn't tell them until so late on. The PIP did 'force my hand'.

Comment

Originally posted by gm1985 View Post
                The trouble started when I got a new line manager who was much more strict in how I have do my work which I initially struggled with, I don't really no if my performance is linked to my dyslexia'.
                Thanks, bit clearer now.

I have to get some more honest answers from you. Is there a "clear and objective" performance measuring system, I.e. "25 tasks per day, all 100% accurate"? "4 signed off, profitable deals per week, approved by the Director" or is it far more subjective "be nice to customers and keep busy"?

Thing is, if your old manager was "nice but dim", not achieving what she/he should have been getting out of you they WILL send in someone else (and maybe dismiss the "kind" old manager...).

Is it clear what you should do? Were you achieving that under the old boss?

Viking
                Last edited by Viking1985; 8th October 2017, 20:28:PM. Reason: Spelling!

Comment

The work varies in complexity so much it's really hard to measure how productively I am working but I do admit I made some embracing mistakes prior to receiving the PIP.

The PIP never felt like a process to help my performance but rather about building a case to get me out.

Myself and other workers have said to management how we don't have clear instructions and how different managers like things done differently rather than having a company wide way of doing reports.

Comment

How long have you been employed by your current employer?

Did you let them know of any reasonable adjustments they would needed to make due to your dyslexia when they employed you for example you need to be able to listen to music?

If you did not tell them at interview was there a reason why not?

Have you told them since you started work with the company and if so what if any reasonable adjustments have you asked to be made.
                    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X