• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employment whilst awaiting court case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment whilst awaiting court case

My granddaughter has been accused by two of her co-workers of child abuse ( hitting a child) which working as a nursery nurse.

She is very distressed about this.

The case is going to magistrate court.

She believes she has been told by the police she cannot apply for any other jobs whilst the court case is pending.

I can understand why she cannot apply for any other jobs involving child care, but I cant understand why she can’t apply for jobs in a office environment or an warehouse etc.

I believe it would be beneficial for her to find a job, rather than sitting at home (on full pay) worrying.

Has she misunderstood the police guidance?

She has been charged via a letter. She has not been cautioned nor is she on bail.

Thanks for reading.
    Tags: None

Re: Employment whilst awaiting court case

Oh gosh, how awful for her if it's a mistake, I'm not suprised she's distressed. She's been suspended from her job rather than dismissed ? If so, she is still employed by them, and can't work for another company at the same time, she would need to resign her position first. I don't think that would be anything to do with the Police, they might have just helped her understand the situation she's in.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Oh gosh, how awful for her if it's a mistake, I'm not suprised she's distressed. She's been suspended from her job rather than dismissed ? If so, she is still employed by them, and can't work for another company at the same time, she would need to resign her position first. I don't think that would be anything to do with the Police, they might have just helped her understand the situation she's in.
      She has been suspended on full pay.

I understand she cant work for 2 companies, but not why she cant go job hunting whilst suspended from the first company.

Comment

She won't know when ( or if) she will be able to start, she'll not be sure how to answer questions "why did you leave your last job" etc - it could crush her more than she is already.
        Maybe she could do some hours volunteering at a charity shop or something like that if it's getting out the house your worried about - [MENTION=51026]Ula[/MENTION] can you do that while suspended on full pay ? [MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION] do you know the process on being charged by letter?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Sorry, but I don't know the answer in this case.
          I would guess that this is a summons to the magistrates court and after the formalities it will be transferred to crown court.
          I hope the young girl has had a solicitor through out the process.

Comment

You can volunteer whilst working, however it depends on what is said in the contract of employment about working either in a voluntary or a second job in a paid capacity. Some companies require you to let them know if you are going to be doing this for several reasons a) to make sure you do not second job with a competitor b) to ensure that the hours you are doing in addition to your normal working week keep you within the Working Time Directive c) to understand when you will be working i.e. late at night and then you go into your job the next day tired and not able to function well.

So not a simple answer I'm afraid. If her contract allows and she works a normal 35 or 37 hour week Mon-Fri then I would suggest (if her contract permits) she would be ok if she volunteered over the weekends but make sure she does not exceed 48 hours a week.
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
            If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X