• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Generic "Variation" clause - Is it permissible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic "Variation" clause - Is it permissible?

I have been in full time for my current employer in England for less than 1yr and today I successfully completed the probationary period. Within my contract this entitled me to a specific increase in my salary from X to Y. My employer told me at the meeting to announce the completion of my probation that they were not going to implement the increase. In my employment contract is the following clause:

“Variation: The Employer reserves the right to add delete vary or modify any of the terms rules and/or procedures contained in or associated with this Contract of Employment and notice will be given to the Employee of any such changes as well as copies of any additions or changes which are made.”

The reading I have done on this matter (CAB, ACAS etc.) stipulates that for the clause to be valid it must make reference to the items/clauses that can be amended, for example work location or work hours, and not allow unilateral changes to the entire contract.

I would welcome being educated to the contrary if my interpretation is wrong but assuming I am right, is there a statute or case that substantiates my thinking?

Many thanks in advance,

JRM
    Last edited by JRM; 3rd July 2015, 20:15:PM. Reason: punctuation
    Tags: None

Re: Generic "Variation" clause - Is it permissible?

Hi [MENTION=69016]JRM[/MENTION] - welcome to the forum.

IMO this clause is invalid because it's vague. Wait to see what others on here say but I would suggest your employer has breached your contract.

- Matt
    Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

I would also be inclined to agree with the idea that there's been a breach of contract. Contracts can have variation clauses but not blanket ones that allow them to vary anything, that would completely defeat the purpose of having an employment contract in the first place.

You need to let them know that you disagree with the decision not to honour the salary increase after probation clause, otherwise it will be implied that you accept the unlawful 'variation'.

Comment

[DOC]Unilateral Variations Clauses Paper by Mathew Purchase

is interesting, although frustratingly ambivalent as regards your situation.

Also, for case law this might be relevant even though it's a different situation:
        http://www.icaew.com/en/library/subj...it-to-employee

particularly this:

Recommendation

• Employers asking employees to agree variations to their contracts should ensure the employee is offered some benefit in return (other than continued employment), that relates to the new terms and that the employee knows about, or risk the variation being ineffective.
        Case ref: Re-Use Collections Ltd v Sendall & Anor [2014] EWHC 3852

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

I agree completely with what others have said here, the clause is an invalid term as it is too broad in regards to what it says can be changed. Fact is valid contractual terms can not be changed where they have a direct impact or detrimental impact on the employee, i.e. hours, place of work, salary/wages. Only terms that relate to things like company policy can be changed unilaterally i.e. bonuses (a non expressed term) or to tie the terms in with the changes made to policies (where said changes effect non expressed terms only - But even then the clause must state which terms in relates to as the terms that may be changed. Expressed terms such as hours and salary can not be changed unilaterally and it is in fact best practice to have employees agree to any change in terms regardless.

The only clause that can result in unilateral change, would be written similar to this - If any of these terms are deemed to be invalid/unlawful by the courts, then they shall be removed and deemed to no longer be part of the contract and may no longer be relied upon!

You need to raise a formal grievance pointing out the clause is invalid as it leaves the entire contract and all its terms open to being unilaterally changed without need of your agreement, which therefore defeats the purpose of having any contract and is therefore an unfair term. Not only that, but as the term is an unfair term any changed made under said term would amount to a breach of contract! Such clauses/terms most be clear as to which terms they effect i.e. bonuses, and other NON EXPRESSED Terms (i.e. a Term that is not prescribed Term required by law). This Clause/Term fails to state which terms may be changed unilaterally, as such it would as it stand cover every term in the contract, which is not permissible by law! YOu therefore expect you wage to be increased to Y level as per your contract!

Note: Whilst you have only been there a short period of time and less than 2 years, you have no right to take this to tribunal, due to lack of 2 years service. However you can take such breach of contract issues, should the go ahead with the change, to the county courts to have the clause removed from your contract. The employer would also be be required to back date your pay and put you on Y level, should you win on the day.
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Thank you everybody for the help thus far.

During my meeting I stated that my contract would not allow such a change and this was disputed by my Employer who claimed that they had taken advice. I registered my objection verbally. Early next week I will receive a letter notifying me of the end of my probation, and I assume, my wage going forward. I will then register my disagreement in writing citing a breach dated back to the conclusion of my probation.

My employer outsources such matters to Pinnacle HR. I doubt that this matter has been given due consideration but I do not want to press the nuclear button or enter into a long and bitter dispute because no one wins in the long term.
            Therefore, I really only have one chance to make them think again and to convince my employer that the advice they have been given is less clear cut than they believe. The more cases or white papers I can point to the better. My hope is that there is a silver bullet out there of specific relevance.

Comment

Originally posted by JRM View Post
              Thank you everybody for the help thus far.

During my meeting I stated that my contract would not allow such a change and this was disputed by my Employer who claimed that they had taken advice. I registered my objection verbally. Early next week I will receive a letter notifying me of the end of my probation, and I assume, my wage going forward. I will then register my disagreement in writing citing a breach dated back to the conclusion of my probation.

My employer outsources such matters to Pinnacle HR. I doubt that this matter has been given due consideration but I do not want to press the nuclear button or enter into a long and bitter dispute because no one wins in the long term.
              Therefore, I really only have one chance to make them think again and to convince my employer that the advice they have been given is less clear cut than they believe. The more cases or white papers I can point to the better. My hope is that there is a silver bullet out there of specific relevance.
              Pinnacle HR (http://www.pinnaclehr.com/)- I bet that's who has advised them too. One thing that companies whom provide outsourced Human Resource is not and that's an employment lawyer and solicitor, most are not even up to task on employment law - But what we are talking about here is not employment law but basic contract law!
              Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

Would anyone be kind enough provide a quick tutorial on how to search case law? The paper above by Matthew Purchase was published in 2011 and I want to see if anything of significance has come to light since.

Comment

Would anyone be kind enough provide a quick tutorial on how to search case law? The paper above by Matthew Purchase was published in 2011 and I want to see if anything of significance has come to light since.
                  I doubt you will find one more recent - But end of the day the clause in your contract is to broad, it permits them to unilaterally change any term of your contract without consent. Meaning they could change every single term in your contract, effectively replacing your contract and putting you on to a new contract you never gave consideration or acceptance too (Two of the basic principle requirements for forming a binding contract).

Comment

Try this:

https://www.kent.ac.uk/library/subje.../case-law.html

HTH x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X