• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Fired for applying for maternity leave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired for applying for maternity leave

I have been working as a office manager in a small firm for past couple of years. There was maternity leave allowed in my agreement. Now I am pregnant and applied for maternity leave, they let me go giving me my last paycheck. I am sure I haven’t done anything so wrong enough to fire me in my entire time in this office. Even if there is something, they are not telling me anything about it. My friends advised me to contact any employment lawyer and proceed with wrongful dismissal charge. Can I consider this as a wrongful dismissal? What all factors can affect this kind of a case?
    Tags: None

Re: Fired for applying for maternity leave

Originally posted by jenniferjone View Post
    I have been working as a office manager in a small firm for past couple of years. There was maternity leave allowed in my agreement. Now I am pregnant and applied for maternity leave, they let me go giving me my last paycheck. I am sure I haven’t done anything so wrong enough to fire me in my entire time in this office. Even if there is something, they are not telling me anything about it. My friends advised me to contact any employment lawyer and proceed with wrongful dismissal charge. Can I consider this as a wrongful dismissal? What all factors can affect this kind of a case?
    I think you should get employment advice from a lawyer, i dont deal with employment law, but i think from what you say there is a claim for wrongful dismissal and also breach of the equality act too.

The best person to speak to would either be ACAS or if you wanted to speak to a lawyer, then Alex Jones at Howlett Clarke where i work is a very good employment lawyer.
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

I would say both wrongful dismissal AND unfair dismissal. In fact, your dismissal is likely to be considered automatically unfair: https://www.gov.uk/dismiss-staff/unfair-dismissals

Automatically unfair reasons for dismissal
      Even if you’ve acted reasonably, some reasons for dismissal are classed automatically unfair. These are to do with the following areas:
      • pregnancy, including all reasons relating to maternity
      • family, including parental leave, paternity leave (birth and adoption), adoption leave or time off for dependants

Wrongful dismissal refers to the contractual notice period if you were dismissed without notice (or similar breaches of your contract).

Comment

I agree entirely with [MENTION=37786]FlamingParrot[/MENTION] - seek professional legal advice at your earliest convenience with a view to bringing a claim for automatic unfair dismissal and wrongful dismissal.

- Matt
        Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

Although legal aid is no longer available for most employment matters, it's still available in cases of discrimination and being fired for being pregnant would fall under this category: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/la...-legal-aid-for-

It is also possible to obtain pro-bono legal representation for ET claims (I got it in 2003 and again last year :grin although a number of law clinics are run by universities and may not be available outside term time. This is a good place to find a law clinic: http://lawworks.org.uk/clinics. If you happen to be in London, this is a place a lot of people I know have used: http://www.toynbeehall.org.uk/employment-rights

Comment

Hang on guys the op referred to "Paycheck" and "applied for maternity leave" - We don't call them paychecks in the UK and we don't apply for maternity leave, we simply inform them when pregnant and your automatically entitled to maternity leave

@jenniferjone - Can you please confirm if you were employed here in the UK or over in the USA?
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Well spotted but I have heard wage slips referred to as paychecks or payslips, among other things.

- Matt
              Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

True i have heard people mention paychecks too, but majority of people refer to them as wage slip or pay slip. Also i never heard of anyone having to apply for maternity leave, though i guess it could just be the wrong terminology that Jennifer used!
                Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

The OP hasn't come back to us but they could also be an American or other foreign resident working in the UK or someone who's worked in the US or elsewhere where that terminology is used.

Comment

It does appear the OP is based in Canada ( going by IP address )
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                      The OP hasn't come back to us but they could also be an American or other foreign resident working in the UK or someone who's worked in the US or elsewhere where that terminology is used.
                      Exactly, thats why i asked her to confirm if she was employed here in the UK or in the USA, since her IP address is from Canada i wasn't far out.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X