• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Is this unfair dismissal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this unfair dismissal?

Hi everyone,

I've been working at a company for the last 5 months. I needed a second job for the extra money so I took one on and notified my line manager. He did not say anything negative about it.

2 days later the department manager calls me to a meeting and fires me on the spot for working the second job. He also gave another reason for something that happened within my first month. I had a review after 3 months and the issue did not come up and my review was excellent and received only praise.
    Tags: None

Re: Is this unfair dismissal?

Unfortunately you have only been there 5 months so wouldn't qualify to take it to tribunal as you have been there less than the 2 years needed to qualify for making a tribunal claim.

However.... What did your contract say regarding secondary employment? Anything?

Where you employed on full time or on part time hours?

I think the contract likely prevents you from having secondary employment without first obtaining the employers written consent - In other words you probably should have got the employers consent first before getting the second job.
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Thanks for your reply, my contract States the following "in the event you undertake other employment with an employer other than the company, you will immediately inform the company of this in order that the company may comply with its obligations under the working time regulations 1998. I have already waived that right in my contract too.

Comment

Well thats a strange term - "company may comply with its obligations under the working time regulations 1998" - I see no reason how your starting secondary employment would effect their compliance under the working time regulations! You could work 48hrs per week at both companies and neither would be in breach of the working time regulations!

What was the other thing that happened in the first month?

And what was the reason given in your letter of termination/dismissal?
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

I haven't received the letter yet. The other thing was discovering an error and getting the reason for the error incorrect but once I realised the true nature of the error I didn't notify anyone. It was irrelevant anyway as correctly assigning blame doesn't fix it.

Comment

Ok what date were you dismissed?

And have you been paid noticed and for accrued holidays in your final wage package?

Regardless to blame, the fact you didn't notify them when you realised the true nature of the error is down to you, as your responsible to notify them as soon as you became aware! Though that alone is not worth of dismissal and clearly that was 4 months ago!

Comment

I was dismissed yesterday. I haven't had my final pay yet.

Comment

I have signed a waiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Granglio View Post
                  I have signed a waiver.
                  That's fine - I'm just explaining why that term is in the contract.

- Matt
                  Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

If an employee has two jobs he would need to opt-out on both jobs if together he works average over 48 hours over 7 days. "If a worker is known to have a second job, an employer should ask the worker to consider signing an opt-out agreement if the total time worked is in excess of 48 hours a week. If a worker does not wish to sign an opt-out in this situation, the worker should consider reducing their hours to comply with the 48-hour limit."

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...ulation/4/made

The employer needs to be aware of the second job so he can ensure the employee has opted out OR reduce hours accordingly.
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Have we figured out on this if the OP had informed the employer of the second job ? as that was a term in the contract.

I needed a second job for the extra money so I took one on and notified my line manager.
                      Has that been bought up in investigation meetings etc ?

He'd already opted out of the WTD so that shouldn't be an issue - certainly not for dismissal - UNLESS he's employed as a driver etc with stricter regs.
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

The more senior manager told me that my line manager had told him I had a second job and it sends the wrong message and then fired me.

Comment

Okay. As it is in your contract that if you take on a second job you must inform your employer that implies it is acceptable to take on a second job so long as you inform the employer ( in my opinion anyway)

Did your employer follow procedure before firing you ? Did you have any warnings/meetings etc ?

Despite not having been there more than 2 years there are still due processes that should be followed before dismissal.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

I had no warnings verbal or written. My 3 month review said I was "a valued member of the team" then out of the blue I get an email asking me to a meeting in an hours time. I was told they were terminating my employment in that meeting and to leave the premises after clearing out my desk.

- - - Updated - - -

Also my dismissal letter came today and it doesn't give the reasons for dismissal it just says as discussed.

Comment

As for following procedure/is it unfair dismissal, the ACAS guidelines or only that, guidance not law.

A failure to follow the Code does not, in itself, make a person or organisationliable to proceedings. However, employment tribunals will take the Code intoaccount when considering relevant cases. Tribunals will also be able to adjustany awards made in relevant cases by up to 25 per cent for unreasonablefailure to comply with any provision of the Code. This means that if thetribunal feels that an employer has unreasonably failed to follow the guidanceset out in the Code they can increase any award they have made by up to25 per cent. Conversely, if they feel an employee has unreasonably failed tofollow the guidance set out in the code they can reduce any award they havemade by up to 25 per cent.
                              source: http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/h/m...procedures.pdf - Page 1

As you had only worked there for 5 months you have no right to bring it to a tribunal and therefore the failure too follow guidance is not really relevant.

Eligibility to claim unfair dismissal

Employees can only claim unfair dismissal if they’ve worked for a qualifying period - unless they’re claiming for an automatically unfair reason.
                              Before 6 April 2012 After first year of employment
                              After 6 April 2012 After 2 years of employment
                              source; https://www.gov.uk/dismiss-staff/eli...fair-dismissal
                              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X