• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Hostile Work place in a company. How one stand up against it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostile Work place in a company. How one stand up against it?

My friend name is martina. She has started a new job in a company. Since i have experience of 3yrs. But Problem is the level of work she has to do here is below her actual skill and knowledge. She really do not like the working there as her manager, supervisor or co-worker’s actions or words create a harassing atmosphere. Some times the way her co-workers watching her she feels very uncomfortable. What she do? Please help.
    Tags: None

Re: Hostile Work place in a company. How one stand up against it?

Hi [MENTION=66181]martinhartman555[/MENTION]

In the first instance - and without knowing more information - I would advise having an informal discussion with the manager (or someone from HR, or a trade union representative) to bring the issue to their attention and give them an opportunity to put things right. If that fails, you should make a formal complaint using the employer's grievance procedure.

If you don't mind my asking, can you provide some details about the types of behaviour?

- Matt
    Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

An employer has to provide work that broadly accords with the job description for the post your friend applied for, that it may otherwise be below her level of knowledge and skill is generally irrelevant, there are many graduates flipping burgers.

On the second matter, without passing any judgment (as there is insufficient information to form one, I have experienced several times in the past situations where there is an incident of some sort and then an individual becomes utterly convinced that every time somebody speaks quietly, they are the subject of the whispering, every glance is interpreted as having malevolent intent and so on.

It becomes a vicious cycle which can have a horrible effect on the "victim".

Could that be the case here?

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I will definitely discuss with my friend. The atmosphere is very bad, the seniors target her, I mean to say they mentally tortured her about the work and sometimes they also do bad comment on her looks and making laugh. Can you provide some legal laws against this. If you know any legal company from which I can take some legal advice. Atleast we must know the law against this, before taking any step.

Comment

Hi [MENTION=66181]martinhartman555[/MENTION]

It's difficult to advise without knowing more information but you could look at the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. This protects you from behaviour that makes you feel distressed, humiliated or threatened. You need to have experienced at least two incidents from the same person (or group) on at least two separate occasions for the act to apply. There's also the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 which obligates employers to ensure its employees' health, safety and wellbeing.

In the first instance I would advise an informal conversation though, and take it from there.

- Matt
          Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

I wouldn't refer to the the protection from harassment act just yet as without knowing presisely what is being said and what they are saying about her work etc, its impossible to say if shes being harassed or not. And mentioning it now may cause her more problems and end up with her being dismissed, which they can do within the first 2 years for any reason apart from under certain circumstances!

I'm assuming her first language isn't English, (as i assume English isn't your first language either?) so maybe its a simple issue or language barrier. Perhaps shes not performing the tasks up to company standards and they are talking to her about her performance being under par. As for her looks, well again without knowing what was said, its hard to say if its harassment or not it could again be a language barrier issue!
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
              I wouldn't refer to the the protection from harassment act just yet as without knowing presisely what is being said and what they are saying about her work etc, its impossible to say if shes being harassed or not. And mentioning it now may cause her more problems and end up with her being dismissed, which they can do within the first 2 years for any reason apart from under certain circumstances!
              Agreed, which is why I said "you could look at" - you need to make sure the act applies before relying on it.

In any case, start with an informal discussion with you line manager and see what happens.

- Matt

Comment

Agreed [MENTION=67649]matt3942[/MENTION] - Informal discussion with her managers is best way to go especially if as i suspect the issues are down to basic language and communication problems, which may also impede on her ability to perform the work to the companies expected standard of performance.
                Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X