• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Work place bullying/references

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work place bullying/references

HI
    im a person who is struggling with anxiety and depression. I had to resign from a job before due to being bullied.

Ive been in my new job nearly 2 years and just had my first child which has bought a lot of stress with it. My boss is quite blunt and snappy and up past few weeks I have been able to deal with it. I've beaten myself up though for a mistake I made and it effected my confidence.

Anyway since then I have become ultra sensitive and worried. When my boss starts to be blunt and her mannerism and tone get bad I feel like she is picking on me. So much so that I nearly walked. Instead I went off sick and have been for nearly 2 weeks. When I went off sick that day I rang her up and had a polite conversation with her. I was not rude, aggressive or swearing. I just said how she was making me feel.

she said I should have spoken to her face to face but on previous occasions I've been told I can't keep talking to her one to one every time I feel down.

i am worried that when I go back she will sack me and claim what I said on the phone to her was out of order.

as I said I was not one bit aggressive, rude or swore. I just wanted her to understand constructively how I was feeling. I didn't take it higher as I wanted to give her a chance to understand and maybe treat me a bit better given circumstances of new baby and stress it can cause.

if you can help with positive answer I'd be grateful. I'm scared of being sacked plus also being given a bad reference saying I've been sacked.

Thanks and praying for positive
    Tags: None

Re: Work place bullying/references

Hi Billbob, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

You have not mentioned whether or not you are seeing your doctor - obviously this is a 'must do', for your health as much as anything to do with work.
    That said, medical evidence is always a good idea.

Have you been in regular contact with your employer?
    Have they been in regular contact with you?
    Have they suggested a meeting to discuss the possible ways forward?
    Have they suggested Occupational Health involvement?

What is your employment 'status'? (Employee/self-employed/agency worker etc)

If you are an employee, as you started with your current employer before April 2012, you should have full employment rights.
    Are you a member of a Union?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Speaking to the person whose conduct is contributing to your current health issues is a good start. If this does not result in the person's behaviour abating, then it is a case of submitting a formal grievance to senior management, as the person concerned is, themselves, a manager.

I note you have recently had a baby. Is this contributing, in any way, to the anxiety and depression issues? I have in mind Post Natal Depression (PND), which is treatable.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Hi
        my GP is well aware of my issues and has been for four years nearly. I'm on medication and have been since then.
        My doc signed me off for two weeks with severe stress and anxiety for this episode. My boss hasn't been in touch since except when she called me back about my concern about SSP, which she got back to me straight away.
        I had hoped she would have called since then to see how I am but maybe she feels I needed the space?
        Ideally I'd like to speak to her before I go back but not sure if that can be done.
        i am an employee.
        Like I say i never once raised my voice on the phone, swore or got aggressive. I just felt she needed to know. I don't want her holding it against me. I know she must realise if she does it again she could get a grievance against her.
        i have considered I may struggling with PND too which I know men can also get.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X