• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Its stress, stress, stress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its stress, stress, stress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies & Gentlemen,

After 23 years loyal service (and two short of the carriage clock) I'm considering a stress at work case via an employment tribuneral. The roots of this are long and quite complicated but I sought the best written advice about making a stress at work claim. I believe I have suffered by physical and mental harm although the latter may not qualify as a "psyciatric illness" under the legal definitions but I believe Amnesia is recognised and this is a rsult of the effects of prolonged stimulation of the stress response on the hippocampus.

It appears that stress from work is about the hardest thing in the world to prove and reading the law judgements it appears as if an employer can act with impunity to stress people provided they refer them to a councelling service. That seems plain wrong to me!

I've annotated each test for a stress claim with my case in blue below it, if anyone can give me their legal opinion I'd be grateful.

Whatyou need to make a stress claim

Fora stress claim to succeed the employee must show:
    • they have a medically recognised psychiatric illness or injury

Hypothyroid due to stress and severe fall off in concentration & short-medium term memory

• their work posed a real risk of causing psychiatric illness and the employer knew (or ought to have known) that the employee was exposed to that risk.

Had already been off with stress previously due to exactly the same issues back in 2011, extra “stuff” added on, that salami sliced the day. Trying to do technically demanding work which required high levels of concentration. This was pointed out and the additional “non productive” meetings continued. Had to get Occ Health to step in but removal was only temporary.

Further Salami slicing caused by having to do other work which was not wellmanaged and ended up in my effectively reporting to 3 separate people and other people disturbing me as well for work I wasn't supposed tobe doing.

• given the foreseeable risk, the employer failed to take reasonably practicable or adequate steps to prevent or reduce the risk of psychiatric harm to the employee.
    • It was known that the additional impositions were causing stress when I went off in 2011 and were cited on return to work. In addition they knew that I was under pressure outside work as a result of my mother having Alzheimer's and I had quite a few things to sort out which put me under pressure out of work.

• In addition, I also reported that it would be better to do the work out of hours so that I wouldn't keep getting disturbed and also that the working hours was making it difficult for me to do the work and to effectively sort out my home life as a result of the additional things I needed to do for my mother as well as catch up on my own things.
    • the employee's psychiatric injury was caused, or materially contributed to, by the work and the employer's breach of duty.

The initial illness in 2000 (hypothyroidism) was I believe the result of prolonged stress at work. Two other people (3 out of 55 in total) doing the same job suffered with Thyroid complaints at about the same time. Hyper or Hypothyroidism is generally 7 times more prevalent in women than men and generally seen most in the over 60's. All 3 of us were men between 35 – 45 years. The site doctor thought this unusual and reported it to the company at the time.
    • The resultant effect of the hypothyroidism was a reduced ability to concentrate and poorer short term memory which made me more prone to the effects of disruptions. The injury is therefore both physical and mental. Physical cause of hypothyroidism and the triggering of the stress response releases cortisol which is known to “fry” memory and concentration.

• In the second case I had been under some pressure as my mother's alzheimers (diagnosed in 2008) was getting worse but at this time work had been getting steadily busier with less time to do more tasks. About 2010 a new raft of meetings were added to the week which significantly salami sliced the day and with the existing work preparation time being interfered with and the techical nature making it difficult to continually drop and pick up this added significantly to the stress as there was no acceptance that work load would be reduced.

• The effects of dealing with my mother's Alzheimers (she lived 90 miles away), the increased general workload and the imposition of additional meetings led to higher pressure at a time that it was known I had additional pressures outside of work and led to further distractions which was very disruptive to concentration, which created further frustration, stress, the stress response was near permanently triggered leading to Cortisol release which further affects concentration and memory.

By Feb 2011 the stress got so bad that I was off sick for 4 months. The stress should have been evident from:-

1) My general lacklustre demeanour

2) I had complained about the effect of the additional meetings and their effect of salami slicing and removing effective working conditions with tight deadlines but nothing was done
      3) They were aware that I was under significant pressure outside of work with my mother.

Thisepisode resulted in a further reduction in short to medium termmemory and ability to concentrate, both essential components to theeffective execution of the job. However at this point they may havebeen able to claim that the consequences were NOT foreseeablealthough taking into account my total workload (home and work) plusthe emotional distress it was reasonable to expect that any normalperson would have been under extreme prolonged stress from bothsides.

Onreturn to work in June 2011 I restarted in my old job, wasimmediately under pressure as a course was starting in 3 weeks timeand the unnecessary ancillary meetings, scattered throughout the daycontinued despite these being cited as extreme stressors (they addedno value to the work I was doing, nor did I add any value to thesemeetings). Only after having lengthy discussions with Occ Health(which cost further time) were these meetings dropped temporarily. Itwas pointed out that this was causing me severe problems on theconcentration/memory front every time I had to stop/start the work.

In early 2012 I switched work roles to a new project but was asked toassist at weekends (some not all – about 2 weekends/month) toassist with another work avenue but this was not supposed to distractme from my mid week work. However, the need to answer queries fromthe contractor during the week and find additional informationcoupled by constant distractions from a work colleague who worked forthe same boss as me meant I was constantly being distracted by thisand the incessant meetings to a point that the “meaningful” timein the working day to progress the actual work was very low and thestress of the distractors, coupled with the already lowmemory/concentration made it near impossible.

Atthis point I effectively had 3 bosses and two other people taking upmy time, none of them taking much cognisance of the demands of theother work streams. The stress increased, so did the stress responseand the effects on memory and concentration to the point that theprimary work was becoming impossible.

At this point I believe that the effect on memory and concentration hadmoved from impairment to disability. I went off work with stress inlate June 2013.

Inaddition to the above, stress claims have to be considered inrelation to the criteria set down in the court of appeal judgement inFebruary 2002 which overturned three previously successfulwork-related stress cases.
    Thecriteria in that judgement are the benchmark upon which solicitorswill measure the prospects of any claim.
    Summaryof the key points on stress at work cases taken from the Court ofAppeal’s judgement on 5 February 2002

1. Thereare no special control mechanisms apply to claims for psychiatric (orphysical) illness or injury arising from the stress of doing the workthe employee is required to do. The ordinary principles of employer’sliability apply.

Not quite sure what this means – there is no work level which it wouldbe considered as excessive?

2. Thethreshold question is whether this kind of harm to this particularemployee was reasonably foreseeable. This has two components:

a) aninjury to health (as distinct from occupational stress) which

i)Cause of hypothyroidism (physical)
    ii)Cause of memory/concentration to move to a disability (Research ofRobert Sapolsky)

b) is attributable to stress at work (as distinct from other factors).

i)The first injury (Hypothyroidism) was entirely due to work with norelated external factors
    ii)The second is more complicated. There was stress at work due to agradually reducing time frame to complete work at the same time mymother was enduring Alzheimers which undoubtedly increased personalstress levels and that increased stress was known by the company. Thecombination of the two stressors undoubtedly put the total burdenabove the personal long term coping level, increasing chronic stresslevels above the bearable.

This resulted in the further decrease in mental powers(concentration/memory) and led to the stress illness episode in 2011.At this point the company should have been “on notice” and shouldnot have put me in a position of multiple competing tasks that werenot properly managed and left me with effectively 3 bosses and anumber of subordinates under the control of one of the managers whowere continually needing my time to complete their work.

The result of these competing pressures were discussed numerous times butno effective mechanism was put in place to cope with these. I hadsuggested working at weekends to get quiet time to complete theprimary tasks without disruption and I also tied to limit the effectby requesting “time off in Lieu” during the week to compensatefor weekend working. Both were denied.

Therefore the effect of these ill defined priorities, and additional createdjob distractors previously cited combined with a previous knowweakness meant that the outcome was “reasonably foreseeable” andled to the current stress episode in June 2013.

3. Foreseeabilitydepends upon what the employer knows (or ought reasonably to know)about the individual employee. Because of the nature of mentaldisorder, it is harder to foresee than physical injury, but may beeasier to foresee in a known individual than in the population atlarge.

An employer is usually entitled to assume that the employee canwithstand the normal pressures of the job unless he knows of someparticular problem or vulnerability.

My employer certainly knew I was under significant stress outside ofwork and was therefore more “prone” overall from 2008 onwards.Stress could have been reduced by removing additional add ons andthose elements which salami slice the days at work but may not havebeen aware of the effects of stress on me until return to work afterthe first stress illness in 2011.

However, the vulnerability to stress should now have been know and my motherhad gone into a care home and I had sorted out most of the majorissues surrounding my mother by mid 2011. Therefore the external towork stressors were much reduced but the work related issuesincreased from 2011 – 2013 due to the competing issues not beingproperly managed.

Therefore,during this time there was “above normal” pressures on a personwith a known vulnerability who had cited that the increased demands,constant interruptions and pressures from more than one boss notbeing effectively managed, coupled with an impaired memory andconcentration due to stress which was known.

4. The test is the same whatever the employment: there are no occupationswhich should be regarded as intrinsically dangerous to mentalhealth.

5. Factors likely to be relevant in answering the threshold question include:

a)The nature and extent of the work done by the employee. Is the workloadmuch greater than is normal for the particular job? Is the workparticularly intellectually or emotionally demanding for thisemployee?

Following the stress incident in 2011 the workload was competing and wasintellectually demanding, this is why I needed conditions whichallowed full concentration to do the work. Interruptions result inthe “mental threads” of a job being dropped when interrupted andtherefore difficult to pick up quickly. The naturally fragmentedworking day, exacerbated by meetings which were productivelyunnecessary combined with work related interruptions resulted in the“usable” time to carry out the supposed primary role decreasingtowards zero when the effects of stress on memory and concentrationare added in.

Are the demands being made of this employee unreasonable when comparedwith the demands made of others in the same or comparable jobs, orare there signs that others doing this job are suffering harmfullevels of stress? Is there an abnormal level of sickness orabsenteeism in the same job or the same department?

The particular job(s) I was doing between the start of 2012 and thesecond stress sickness episode in 2013 was new and to a high degreenovel. However, there was a general increase in departmental workload during this time and one new employee was obviously stressedseverely but was fortunately young enough to cope with this episode.Another employee (out of 10 in the group in total) confided that thestress was bad enough that he was grinding his teeth in his sleep andhad to sleep with a gum shield to prevent him damaging his teeth. Oneother employee who had suffered from stress had another episode anddecided to retire.

b) Signs from the employee of impending harm to health. Has she/he aparticular problem or vulnerability? Has she/he already suffered fromillness attributable to stress at work?

Following the 2011 sickness absence the employer should have been “on notice”as to the effects that stress was having on concentration and memory.In addition, reviews of annual medical assessment forms would havegiven a strong indication of a person suffering from stress over aprolonged period.

In addition, because of the stress impairment and the salami slicingcreating stress I had on annual stress surveys cited that workingarrangements were a major issue. Nothing was done or discussed andthe form “signed off”

Therefore there was a number of avenues by which the company should have been“on notice”

Have there recently been frequent or prolonged absences which areuncharacteristic of her/him? Is there reason to think that these areattributable to stress at work, for example, because of complaints orwarnings from her/him or others?

I had been off 2 other times in the last year, one due to a severecold, the other due to a gastrointestinal infection. However coldsare relatively frequent occurrences and I tend to suffer “man flu”when I get these and always have. Therefore there was nothing tosignificantly alert the company in these absences other that to saythat the total was higher than usual.

They were on notice that they were causing stress and they could have madethe link, however, it would be reasonable to have assumed they werenot the result of stress and genuine illness periods that generallyoccur in unstressed individuals. However, it is generally known thatstress lowers the immune response and therefore may be prone to moregeneral illnesses.

6. The employer is generally entitled to take what he is told by hisemployee at face value, unless he has good reason to think to thecontrary. He does not generally have to make searching enquiries ofthe employee or seek permission to make further enquiries of hismedical advisers.

They knew that I had been under pressure outside work and that there was acontinuing burden.
    They knew I had been off with stress and the the primary causes were workrelated to the conditions, workload, poor management of that workloadand constant distractions which were causing the stress.

Personal stress surveys should also have alerted them along with annualmedical questionnaires and discussions with Occ Health advisor’s inaddition to the persistent general demeanour of a stressed person,(such as not being very humoured, clear external exasperation whenissues were not taken seriously etc.)

7. To trigger a duty to take steps, the indications of impending harm tohealth arising from stress at work must be plain enough for anyreasonable employer to realise that he should do something about it.

I think all the above indicates that it was “plain enough tosee”

8. The employer is only in breach of duty if he has failed to take the stepswhich are reasonable in the circumstances, bearing in mind themagnitude of the risk of harm occurring, the gravity of the harmwhich may occur, the costs and practicability of preventing it, andthe justifications for running the risk.

This is an area where there will always be debate as to what isreasonable.

Given two previous stress illnesses (one causing hypothyroidism which wouldnot have put them “on notice” although it could be argued thatthe high incidence of thyroid disorders in a small group (3 out of55) could have been investigated further and the company's doctorthought that this was warranted)

It is widely known what the effects of prolonged chronic stress are onthe body, the harm is real and the effects seriously interfere withthe persons ability to run their life and their job as a result.

Theprimary job I was supposed to do during the week on normal dailyhours was memory and concentration demanding and I had proposedworking at weekends to remove the daytime stressors which werepreventing me from doing the job effectively. The company during thisperiod was happy for me to work overtime at the weekends (on anentirely different job) and therefore I don't see why doing theprimary work in this time would have been unreasonable.

I do not believe it is possible to easily manage the stressors innormal working hours as there are too many people about and evengetting my own office would have seemed like favouritism andattracted attention that we would be trying to avoid.

9. The size and scope of the employer’s operation, its resources and thedemands it faces are relevant in deciding what is reasonable; theseinclude the interests of other employees and the need to treat themfairly, for example, in any redistribution of duties.

The employer has hundreds of thousands of employee's but the specificdivision has about 5500 FTE's and the site around 600 FTE's.

10.Anemployer can only reasonably be expected to take steps which arelikely to do some good: the court is likely to need expert evidenceon this.

Whatsort of evidence would they need?

11. An employer who offers a confidential advice service, with referral toappropriate counselling or treatment services, is unlikely to befound in breach of duty.

This needs to be challenged. It is flawed on two counts,

i)That it is OK if I break your leg as long as I pay your medical bill for your recovery. This is treatment after the fact rather than preventative.

ii)It effectively means that I don't need to fix the underlying problem because when we break people the psychologists will fix them again.(which in most cases doesn't work)

The company does offer a counselling service but I chose to go with my GP recommended service as I was already in this programme.

12. If the only reasonable and effective step would have been to dismiss ordemote the employee, the employer will not be in breach of duty in allowing a willing employee to continue in the job.

This needs to be challenged to the degree that the stress causes REAL brain injury which inhibits the person from performing their job.Therefore repeated stress results in brain injury which cannot be repaired by counselling and diminishes the ability of the person todo their job. (See research by Prof. Robert Sapolsky)

Where the work has caused or materially contributed to the final statedismissal or demotion should not be seen as “reasonable” by anemployer.

In effect its like having someone who is lifting heavy boxes all daywhich creates and then aggravates the injury to then sack thembecause they can't lift boxes. If the injury was caused by work thenthey should not be able to do this. If the injury was created outsideof work, like a football injury then it may be reasonable.

13. Inall cases, therefore, it is necessary to identify the steps which theemployer both could and should have taken before finding him inbreach of his duty of care.

I believe that if their intention was to truly “ring fence” my“weekday” work then that should have been done by some or all ofthe following:-

i)Found me somewhere to work which “ring fenced” me EFFECTIVELY from the interruptions (very difficult to do effectively on a largeindustrial site)
    ii)The line manager responsible for both me and two of the major distractors could have informed them not to disturb me (although its difficult to know how they would have got their work done)
    iii)They could have taken up my suggestion to move my work to outside normal hours (not all work time, but the majority)
    iv)They could have moved me to a job where the interruptions would have a lower effect (i.e. work that was not so intellectually challengingso that the effect of interruptions would be less severe.

14. The claimant must show that the breach of duty has caused or materiallycontributed to the hardship suffered. It is not enough to show thatoccupational stress has caused the harm.

Not sure I really understand this. The basis is that creating stress,even though that has a proven effect on the brain (injury) that ifthat injury is created by work stress then you cannot use that toshow a breach of duty of care?

Is this not a circular argument to say that causing stress, even if itcan be proven to have caused harm is not enough to permit asuccessful claim therefore no stress claim can ever besuccessful??

15. Wherethe harm suffered has more than one cause, the employer should onlypay for that proportion of the harm suffered which is attributable tohis wrongdoing, unless the harm is truly indivisible. It is for theemployer to raise the question of apportionment.

There are three planks here.

1)The first incident in 1996-2000 was not reported as stress though in hind sight this was the most likely cause. However, the lastingresult of this was an ongoing impairment to concentration and memorywhich needed careful management by myself to ensure it did not become“evident”

2)My mother's Alzheimers was a major contributing factor to the stress between 2008 and late 2010 and would have been contributory to the sickness absence with stress in 2011. Without this I may have coped through this period but work was becoming more stressful. This undoubtedly “exposed” my weakness in terms of memory and concentration and made the situation difficult to manage. However,the lack of adjustments at work and increased demands materially contributed to the final outcome.

3)Following the 2011 sickness absence the company should have been “onnotice” as to the stress, the work related causes and thedisability. From here on the injury progression is entirely down tothe company.

16. The assessment of damages will take account of any pre-existing disorderor vulnerability and of the chance that the claimant would havesuccumbed to a stress-related disorder in any event.

There was no “pre existing” disorder prior to joining the company. Theinitial hypothyroidism was primarily caused by work related stress sothe initial impairment which was subsequently made worse was workrelated in its entirety. The secondary worsening of this impairmentbetween 2008 to 2011 was partly due to outside of work factors. Thefinal transformation of the impairment to a disability is entirelywork related due to work pressures applied on a known impairment from2011 to 2013.

Youmust keep your employer informed

The court of appeal judgement placed the onus on the employee to havemade her/his problems known to the employer.
    InMay 2004 the House of Lords ruled on an appeal lodged on behalf ofone of the three cases overturned by the court of appeal judgement inFebruary 2002. In what has become known as the Barber Ruling, theHouse of Lords restored the county court's original findings in thiscase.

However,whilst the Barber ruling has clarified the law it has not overruledthe 16 principles set down by the court of appeal judgement.

Its impact has been in re-establishing that the employer, where theyare aware that an employee has a potential stress related healthissue, has a responsibility to investigate the health of thatemployee rather than waiting for the employee to identify theproblem.
    Right, well that's it, long enough you'll agree.

The problem I have is that a lot of it is circumstantial, Can I prove they caused the Hypothyriodism? How do you prove memory and concentration impairment to disability?

Some of the "tests" seem "circular" to prevent stress claims?

Any thoughts anyone?

Regards,

The Badger
    Last edited by The badger; 13th October 2013, 21:58:PM. Reason: editorial - pasted words were concatinated
    Tags: None

Re: Its stress, stress, stress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Hello Badger and welcome to Legal Beagles

I don't know anything about employment law but there are many on here that do and someone will be along to help you.

One immediate thought is that you are unlikely to be able to prove that "they caused the Hypothyroidism" or that they caused any other medical condition.

I think you have to evidence unreasonable actions by your employers first and foremost.

Good luck!

Comment

Hi Badger and welcome to Legal Beagles.

In order to prove a causal link between work-related stress and hypothyroidism, you will need to obtain an expert opinion from an endocrinologist. The fact that you and two others, all of you doing the same work, have developed the same illness indicates a cluster. It may be pure coincidence, but is there anything in your working environment that could possibly cause the thyroid gland to malfunction, besides stress? This is why you should consult an endocrinologist.

Your employer has an obligation under health and safety at work legislation to ensure employees are not exposed to unnecessary and avoidable stress. Health and Safety Inspectors can serve an Improvement Notice on an employer for a MINIMUM of 12 months where the employer has not met their statutory obligations and failed to address stress issues.

What have Occupational Health said about the stress?
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

ladies & Gents,

Two things here. My understanding is that the burden of proof in civil cases is " balance of probability". The industry is nuclear related which in the extreme can affect the thyroid gland but that would involve proving that you are liable by another cause which would be an own goal.

It would be impossibe (in my opinion) to PROVE they caused the thyroid failure but I'm hoping that the balance of evidence, combined with the likelihood in the general population would suggest on a "balance of probabilities" basis that it was more likely than not that they were the cause.

Occ Health have said ( in their own right) NOTHING they merely FACILITATE rather than (as far as I know) express an opinion.

There is the possibility of hypothyroidism being a coincidence but about 6% of a small group seems beyond the test of "balance of probabilities" although all three were different, I was diagnosed hypo (under) thyroid but a work colleague was diagnosed hyper (over) thyroid but the two can be essentially the same as its common that people go over in response to stress and then burn out an go under. The degree to how high you go and how low you go after is personal.

The third person had thyroid cancer, I'm not sure if that is quite the same mechanism but its all likely endocrine related.

The element of you proposition is to a greater degree self defeating, if the employer provides a work environment that causes hypothyroidism they wouldn't use that as a defence. Therefore the question becomes if we suffered the disorder from non work related causes - what are the percentages of that?

One of the biggest causes of of thyroid malfuction is family history (non in all three cases) age (>60) none in all three cases and being female ( 7 times more likely at 60+) therefore I CANT prove they caused it, but the balance of probabilities is that they did.

You say that HSE inspectors can serve an improvement notice (of which I'm aware) but how do you convince them to do so?

The Badger
        Last edited by The badger; 13th October 2013, 21:38:PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

basically - who thinks I have a case to proceed with?

Comment

Hi badger,

If the 2002 case to which you are referring is Hatton v Sunderland [2002] ICR 613 (I'm assuming so due to the reference to 'Barber'), you ought now to be looking to Dickens v O2 (2008).
            See attachment for comparison.

Also, if your head of claim is personal injury negligence for breach of duty of care, this could be actioned via the Courts as opposed to Employment Tribunal.

Do you have access to an Employment Law solicitor? (There is often an add-on in insurance policies, AA/RAC cover etc.)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by charitynjw; 13th October 2013, 22:55:PM.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

If you didn't take this to a tribunal, what would your realistic options be?

Would you be able to see it out for another two years until retirement? Would you be entitled to any form of early retirement on health grounds? Would they be looking to get rid of you due to length of time off work or what?

In my opinion, it would be good to weigh up ALL your options before embarking on one very risky one with what, in my very amateur opinion, would be a case that would need considerably more concrete evidence than is presented above.

Whatever happens, I hope things work out for you. :beagle:

Comment

Are you in a Union who cab advice and fight for you?
                I can offer no sound advice but think if there is a common link between peoples illnesses at the same company its needs exploring,this is no doubt a complex case where expert medical and legal help is needed your long term health future is at stake and maybe others who worked or work for the same company.

Comment

Hi Charitynjw,

I wasn't actually referring to any previous case law, the 16 tests wereon a website that had taken into account previous cases and extractedthe "tests" which would need to be met. I'm not sure Ifully understand the Dickens V O2 case but I was gratified to readthat providing a counselling service does not give the employer a"get out of jail free" card.

Th eother interesting factor is that the use of previous cases to form"tests" for future cases seems to be overturned in thiscase by stating that they are not tests and each case should belooked at on its own merits.

The question is, does mine have enough merit in the key area's?

Finally,there seems some form of legal belief that chronic stress can befully recovered from, I don't believe this is the case. Research byRobert Sapolsky (famous neuroendocrinologist) has shown that stresscauses cortisol release as part of the stress response and thiseffectively kills brain cells in the hippocampus. This is the area ofthe brain responsible for memory and particularly new learning whichI find very difficult now. Therefore prolonged chronic stress haslasting damage which is physical

The second element is almost like PTSD - after prolonged stress youbecome sensitised to markers for stress. As an example I could sitnext to you while you try to solve a problem and gently poke you inthe arm. This would distract you initially and quickly becomeannoying which would trigger your stress response. After a period oftime you would likely get violent.

Afterthis I promise not to poke you in the arm but I still sit next toyou, its highly likely that the proximity would stress you becausealthough I'm not poking you in the arm I'm still close enough to doso. Your stress levels would only drop if I left the room.

Its this “sensitisation” to stressing factors that also becomes aproblem in returning to work and requires major adjustments toworking conditions a necessity.

The effect of stress is that you run up the stress curve to the point youcan no longer cope, lets call that point 10 on a scale. After thatyou start to deteriorate quickly under the same continued stresslevel.

On return you look for potential stress triggers and in addition youwould only be able to go to level 7 or 8 on the scale before youwould start to deteriorate again. A third time and you may only go tolevel 4 or 5.

Thegolden rule of stress is that the stressed employee need to haveultimate control of the stressors otherwise its likely thesensitisation will result in more stress.

In my case it was interruptions which continually broke my concentrationand therefore I have asked that I do my work “out of hours” as inthe work place it will be almost impossible to prevent peopledistracting me. In my earlier example its the case that if thepotential stressor is still “in the room” but not poking you thenyou'll remain stressed.

Comments welcome

Badger
                  Last edited by The badger; 14th October 2013, 08:44:AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Hi Labman,

I'm not 2 years from retirement I'm 2 years from 25 years service and 4 years from earliest possible retirement date thanks to Gordon Brown.

If I don't go to a tribuneral I'll may well be poorer but I think I'll have to leave either way

Early retirement on health grounds these days is probably more difficult to prove a case for than stress. Unless you present for assessment with a terminal condition its highly unlikely that you will be ill health retirement as the condition needs to be a permenant disability which prevents me from working, and I'd have to break new law ground to do that.

You say the case needs "more concrete evidence" - what sort of things would you be looking for that I've not provided?

As I've pretty much made my mind up to go, is it really that risky?

Badger

Comment

Walesman,

Thanks for your support.

I'm a believer that the laws on prosecuting stress cases need to be changed. This is primarily because employers can get away with the unreasonable because they couldn't tell that I was susceptable, and even when they did its very difficult.

The world of work these days is increasing peoples hours, the number of jobs they do concurently and adding jobs in without ever taking anything away.

The best analogy I can find is imagine a large tank with an office full of people standing in it. You fill the tank with water (analogy for work) and you don't know what the hight of each employee is but there are very few less than 5 feet so filling the tank to 4 feet 6 inches seems reasonable.

However, there may be a dwarf who gets drowned, but they are rare and you can't cover every eventuality. However, you know that the average male is probably about 5 feet 10 inches and the average woman is 5 feet 4 inches. If you fill the tank to 5 feet 4 inches you know you are likely to kill all the women in the tank below average height but as you don't know the height of the people in the tank is that a valid defense because you didn't know each individual's height?

That seems to be the defense in law under stress but defies common logic? How much work and how many distractors to that work can you keep adding in before people will break?

The Badger
                      Last edited by The badger; 14th October 2013, 13:02:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X