• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Work place harassment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work place harassment

Hello All

I need some advise on an investigation into work place email harassment. I will not go into to many details so below is a short synopsis of the complaint

I have lodged a complaint of email harassment and after all parties have been interviewed the outcome is insufficient evidence to procede. I beleive I have emails that prove conclusively that my working practises are being undermined. I intend to go to appeal but if that fails what are my options

Regards

Golfillini
    Tags: None

Re: Work place harassment

Hi,,,,,,,,,,,First question.........how long have you worked there?

Comment

Hi golfillini,

Assuming that it is not a criminal matter, & you've lodged an official grievance, the appeal procedure should be available via the company handbook/intranet.

Should the outcome not be to your liking, & you feel you have a reasonable case, then you could bring an Employment Tribunal claim.
      However, as these now attract quite large fees, it does tend to bring a different perspective to bear.

Have you considered mediation?
      http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2008
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Nearl six years.

Comment

Does your employer have their own closed internet (known as an intranet) where emails do not go onto a public electronic telecommunications network, or do emails go out onto a public electronic telecommunications network before coming back into the server at your employers premises? It is important that it is established which it is.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

They have their own closed intranet.

Comment

Hello
              I have tried mediation and I wrongly thought things were resolved, unfortunately the email complaints about my working practices only increased

Comment

Hello

my employer has its' own intranet but you can send emails to anyone outside of this

Comment

Could you please detail -

a. In what ways the emails are undermining your working practices;
                  b. The nature of the emails, i.e. what is contained within them that you consider to be harassment;
                  c. The effect this is having on you psychologically;
                  d. The effect this is having on your performance at work;
                  e. When the emails started and how frequently they are sent to your inbox;
                  f. Who is responsible for the emails;
                  g. Who is involved and what position(s) do they hold.

Harassment has a wide meaning, in the legal sense, hence the above questions. Also, it needs to be established whether this can be dealt with within the framework of Employment Law or whether those involved have crossed the line.

Comment

a. All emails sent to my immediate management team and Senior Managers
                    b. Content of emails actively seeking alleged minor misdemeanours.
                    c. I was off work for a long period with work related stress
                    d. Lack of concentration, lethargy and wishing I was somewhere
                    e. Majority started may last year when I declared my intention to run against this person for a union role
                    f. A married couple
                    g. The one I stood against has a temporary management role

Comment

Originally posted by golfillini View Post
                      a. All emails sent to my immediate management team and Senior Managers
                      b. Content of emails actively seeking alleged minor misdemeanours.
                      c. I was off work for a long period with work related stress
                      d. Lack of concentration, lethargy and wishing I was somewhere
                      e. Majority started may last year when I declared my intention to run against this person for a union role
                      f. A married couple
                      g. The one I stood against has a temporary management role
                      Thank you for answering the questions.

Work-related stress can land an employer in trouble with HSE and result in the employer being served with an Improvement Notice for a MINIMUM of 12 months. An employer has a duty, under health and safety at work legislation, to ensure a safe working environment and to ensure both your health and safety are not put at risk. The symptoms you describe are classic symptoms of stress-related illness.

On average, how many emails are you receiving in, say, a working week?

On the face of it, your employer may well be putting themselves in breach of their statutory duty of care towards you, as an employee, under health and safety legislation by failing to address the stress issues. Have you been referred to a Clinical Psychologist or a Psychiatrist, by your GP, in connection with the stress? Also, has your employer referred you for an Occupational Health assessment?

Comment

Hi golfillini,

In an employment law context, stress has been described as the 'new bad back'; in a recent CIPD survey, stress topped the bill for sickness absence (40%)
                        http://www.cipd.co.uk/pm/peoplemanag...s-2012-10.aspx

This in no way belittles a very serious problem, but consequently an ET would hear a lot of cases in which stress is cited as the main problem, so you will need to evidence the occasions which have caused it, & how/why it has affected your health & day-to-day activities.

Medical evidence is also important, but by itself is not enough - you will need to convince the ET that it is this work-related situation which has resulted in your poor health, not other (outside of work) influences.
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

From may to October 2012 the emails from both added up to one email a week. Each email resulted in a conversation with my manager for an explanation. To put this in context I only see these people once a week and each time it resulted in a email of complaint. In one email and during their interview about my grievance they stipulated that I am the only one at work they have a problem with.
                          I have had an occupational health appointment arranged by my company.
                          I have been to cognative behaviour treatment and also am seeing a psychologist I arrangd myself

Comment

Think for some decent sensible advice the OP needs to post up at least one of these emails,if the person who sent the email only says that the OP is the only one they have a problem with is that abusive.
                            Sorry to say that maybe there are other problems the OP is having .

Comment

The sort of stress this thread deals with is a very real condition and can have devastating consequences on a person's life. If not dealt with, it can result in a heart attack or a stroke, both of which can be live-changing or, even, fatal. I hate to sound alarmist, but that is the reality.

The OP's employer needs to take the issue seriously and not be so dismissive. I am not entirely convinced there is insufficient evidence to justify taking action to abate the actions of the OP's colleagues. The OP would be wise to request a copy of the OH assessment before it is sent to the OP's employers. This is the OP's legal right.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X