• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Accident Advice needed please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident Advice needed please.

A colleague of mine fell over at work and has broken her wrist. Her partner also works at our company, and refused to go in the ambulance and wouldnt even pick her up when she was ready to come home (another member of staff went to A&E with her, and made sure she got home safely.)

She has to go back to the hospital for a check on the broken wrist, but he is demanding paid leave to take her.? He says because it was an industrial accident and it is his wife he is within his rights. Is this correct?

THankyou for your advice
    Tags: None

Re: Accident Advice needed please.

For a broken wrist ? Sounds like someone might have been talking to where there's blame there's a claim type people.

I don't know the rules but although common sense says a broken wrist doesn't need a carer I think it is classified as a major injury for industrial accident purposes. All employees are entitled to time off to deal with family emergencies (ie he'd have been entitled to time off to accompany his wife to hospital on the accident day) but pre booked check up hospital appointments I don't think are covered under that.

It would be a case of checking his contract and the employer checking the rules with ACAS.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by SmileyFace View Post
      A colleague of mine fell over at work and has broken her wrist.
      Fell over what and how? That's your colleague's legal starting point.

I've got your PM :wink:

Comment

Her partner also works at our company, and refused to go in the ambulance and wouldnt even pick her up when she was ready to come home
        ^^^^ what a rotter. That's a moral not legal issue I'm afraid

Comment

She has to go back to the hospital for a check on the broken wrist, but he is demanding paid leave to take her
          Can you explain why she needs someone to take her to the hospital? I accept that a broken wrist means she can't drive but is there no acceptable pubic transport available?

Comment

Yes there is transport. He feels it is his duty.

Comment

Yes there is transport. He feels it is his duty.
              even though he didn't feel it was his duty to go with her in the ambulance when the accident happened :confused2:

Comment

It is not an automatic entitlement, and will be governed by company policy. The other possibility is compassinoate leave.

This link explains things fairly clearly:

https://www.gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants/your-rights

Comment

Personally,I'd clonk him on the bonce with me plastercast,,but that's cos I'm evil :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                    Fell over what and how? That's your colleague's legal starting point.

I've got your PM :wink:
                    Hi SmileyFace, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

Just a nudge on PlanB's post #3.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                    gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

She has to go back to the hospital for a check on the broken wrist, but he is demanding paid leave to take her.? He says because it was an industrial accident and it is his wife he is within his rights.
                      Simply because it was an industrial accident - No.

Check company policy and the contract of employment. Compassionate leave is normally catered for.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X