• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Part time - does this sound right?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part time - does this sound right?

Hi

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to see what anyone thought about the following situations I have recently had at work:

1. I was employed two years ago on a part time basis, working 30 hours a week. As a part time employee, certain of my benefits i.e. car allowance and bank holidays are pro rated. I did question the car allowance at the time as I have previously been employed part time and this was never affected. However, I was told that was the policy so fair enough. Since I started, for various reasons, a number of colleagues have gone onto what they call "reduced hours" contracts working 30 hours a week. In all other areas, we do the same job i.e. the same hours, same responsibilities etc etc but, I have just discovered that they get a full entitlement to both bank holidays and car allowance whereas, because I am on a different contract, mine get pro rated.

2. I was up for promotion this year and have been told that I had a very strong personal case for this but, because of budgetry restraints, they could not make a business case for it i.e. there wasn't enough money. I was informed of this in June and any promotions become effective in October. However, last week, an email came round stating there was a big recruitment drive and you could get referral bonuses etc etc. They then listed position that were being advertised, one of which was the role I would have had if I had been promoted. On questioning this, I am told that the budget had been reworked and there was now a case for this role but, because the promotion round had already passed, they could not promote me mid year as this is not company policy and I would have to wait another year for the next round to come up. In the meantime, they are advertising externally.

Does this seem right? Or does my company just have very odd policies......

Thanks!
    Tags: None

Re: Part time - does this sound right?

Capita eos in ano sunt

Comment

Re: Part time - does this sound right?

Originally posted by WellingtonOES View Post
      Hi

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to see what anyone thought about the following situations I have recently had at work:

1. I was employed two years ago on a part time basis, working 30 hours a week. As a part time employee, certain of my benefits i.e. car allowance and bank holidays are pro rated. I did question the car allowance at the time as I have previously been employed part time and this was never affected. However, I was told that was the policy so fair enough. Since I started, for various reasons, a number of colleagues have gone onto what they call "reduced hours" contracts working 30 hours a week. In all other areas, we do the same job i.e. the same hours, same responsibilities etc etc but, I have just discovered that they get a full entitlement to both bank holidays and car allowance whereas, because I am on a different contract, mine get pro rated.

2. I was up for promotion this year and have been told that I had a very strong personal case for this but, because of budgetry restraints, they could not make a business case for it i.e. there wasn't enough money. I was informed of this in June and any promotions become effective in October. However, last week, an email came round stating there was a big recruitment drive and you could get referral bonuses etc etc. They then listed position that were being advertised, one of which was the role I would have had if I had been promoted. On questioning this, I am told that the budget had been reworked and there was now a case for this role but, because the promotion round had already passed, they could not promote me mid year as this is not company policy and I would have to wait another year for the next round to come up. In the meantime, they are advertising externally.

Does this seem right? Or does my company just have very odd policies......

Thanks!
      Hi and welcome. First of all I have never heard such utter tosh....well actually I have in my company but that's another story.

Firstly, with regard to part time hours etc. As far as I'm aware part time staff are entitled to the sane benefits as full time....from what I understand you have been getting these benefits pro rata which is correct. With regard to your colleagues who where full time but now part time, there may have been conditions to the change of hours which had been stipulated in their contracts, this is something you could discuss with your hr department, they probably won't be able to discuss other people's contracts with you but you should bring to their attention that you are unhappy about it...and see if they are prepared to do anything.

With regard to promotion, they have a legal obligation to advertise this externally and are not obliged to offer you the position, but if you have the right credentials, experience etc. I don't believe that should refuse you an interview on the grounds of the promotional window being closed. Im not an expert, and I'm sure someone with better knowledge than me might come along soon but might I also suggest you contact acas. They are very good, I don't have their number to hand but type acas into search engine. Give them a call.
      Hope that helps a little

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X