• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

owed wages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• owed wages

Hi, can anyone advise?
    I have just resigned as director from ltd company.
    I took some payslips without drawing down the actual money as the company was struggling. It was suggested at the time by our accountant that the payslip would qualify my stamp and that the money would be owed to me by the company. Can anyone confirm this?
    I have the payslips and the amount is showing on p45 as £3200.
    Can I request this money as it was never paid to me?
    Cheers
    Tony
    Tags: None

Re: owed wages

Deleted. Post duplicated.
    Last edited by enquirer; 6th October 2013, 19:09:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarman69 View Post
      It was suggested at the time by our accountant that the payslip would qualify my stamp ...
      What this means is unclear. Check your NI record to make sure that there are no gaps. It would be wise to check your position with regard to Income Tax as well.

I have the payslips and the amount is showing on p45 as £3200.
      That should be sufficient. It should also appear in the company's annual accounts.

Can I request this money as it was never paid to me?
      If there is nothing in writing to the effect that you have deferred payment, then it should be payable on demand.

Comment

Hi guitarman69,

Withholding wages is known in employment terms as wrongful dismissal.

If necessary it can be pursued either via an Employment Tribunal (3 month less one day cut-off for claim), or through County Court (6 years cut-off).
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
          Hi guitarman69,

If necessary it can be pursued either via an Employment Tribunal (3 month less one day cut-off for claim), or through County Court (6 years cut-off).
          Thanks for responses.
          I will take action

Comment

I know the company do not have sufficient funds to pay this amount. I do believe I can request the company be wound up.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
              Hi guitarman69,

The fact that the accountant has said that the OP would still be owed the money suggests that the wages weren't unpaid but were loaned to the company and should be showing in the books as a director loan.
              It can still be pursued through the CC, though if the company has no money it will be a hollow victory.

A winding up order may be more effective but the OP needs to take professional advice as they could be liable for costs if they fail.
              Last edited by davec1960; 7th October 2013, 06:49:AM. Reason: hit send too soon

Comment

I guess it's always a good idea to check that the person (or corporate identity) has sufficient funds.

A pyrrhic victory is not much use to anyone.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X