• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Help & advice needed re forced to changed work location

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help & advice needed re forced to changed work location

Hi people, just looking for a bit of employment advice etc re a difficult position I find myself in at work at the moment.

Around 8 weeks ago or so I was informed by my line manager that he had decided to change my location of work and he gave me various reasons for this. some of these reasons I did not agree with and felt some of these reasons were unprofessional in the way he also delivered them to me. I made him aware of my dissatisfaction and that this was something that I was not in agreement with and did no believe I should be forced to move. I also put his in writing to him and my reasons both personal and professional why I was apposed to the move. After I had put this in writing to him he did not follow any company procedure or policy by dealing with this matter, he plain and simple said the move was happening and it was tough really. I did not feel as though he had dealt with this properly as I had formally raised genuine concerns against the change in location. I then officially raised a grievance with his line manager (a regional manager for the company I work for). I had a hearing a few weeks ago where all my concerns were aired. I received the decision a week later and this decision was hat I should move to a new location.

The main points of my reasons for not moving we're travelling time. I am travelling by public transport for a minimum of 3 half hours each day to work and back, I was only travelling around 1.30-1.45. When this was discussed in my hearing the company said that the terms and conditions of my employment states that changes to my location can be made but within reasonable travelling time. When looked into by HR they stated that reasonable travelling time is roughly 1 hr each way. Although the extra distance is only 20 mins on the train the whole travelling time for getting the bus then train and the time waiting between connections can be anywhere between 1.30 - 2hrs.
    After doing this for 2 weeks I feel that I can no longer continue with this long term as my day now is too long and travelling upto 4 hrs a day is beyond a joke. I have worked for the company for over 7 years, I have a fantastic absence history, i have been performing really well consistently in the job I do (as it was pointed out by my manager I am a victim of my own success). I now find myself in a position where I do not want to toto work and I am looking for another job purely because of the sanctions imposed on me that I find unreasonable. I have been given no pay rise for this move, I have been given a official apology for the reasons I were first given and been told that my line manager was unprofessional in the way he dealt with this. I have been moved to a workplace that needs a lot of help and has clear problems and I've been put there to sort it out, i was also moved out of my place of work where I was working to make way for an under performing manager to go into.

The past couple of weeks are starting to take its toll, I am constantly shattered, I am having a very short fuse and feeling really low about things. I went to the doctors last week and broke down, he has signed me off work for 3 weeks, with stress, panic attacks etc as I do not feel in a good place mentally and am feeling really aggrieved by this as I have not done anything wrong to feel like this apart from do my job and do it well yet I am being penalised.

2 questions I am asking,
    1. Can I apply for other jobs whilst on he sick from work and would my company have to declare this on a reference or would the question even be asked?
    2. If and when I do find another job, how would I fair taking the company to a tribunal as I in my opinion have been forced into looking for another job, process & policy has not been followed from the day was told about this, I have an impeccable work history with the company for over 7 years and what they claim is reasonable adjustments clearly is not reasonable.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks
    Tags: None

Help with a unreasonable request re change of work location imposed

Hi people, just looking for a bit of employment advice etc re a difficult position I find myself in at work at the moment.

Around 8 weeks ago or so I was informed by my line manager that he had decided to change my location of work and he gave me various reasons for this. some of these reasons I did not agree with and felt some of these reasons were unprofessional in the way he also delivered them to me. I made him aware of my dissatisfaction and that this was something that I was not in agreement with and did no believe I should be forced to move. I also put his in writing to him and my reasons both personal and professional why I was apposed to the move. After I had put this in writing to him he did not follow any company procedure or policy by dealing with this matter, he plain and simple said the move was happening and it was tough really. I did not feel as though he had dealt with this properly as I had formally raised genuine concerns against the change in location. I then officially raised a grievance with his line manager (a regional manager for the company I work for). I had a hearing a few weeks ago where all my concerns were aired. I received the decision a week later and this decision was hat I should move to a new location.

The main points of my reasons for not moving we're travelling time. I am travelling by public transport for a minimum of 3 half hours each day to work and back, I was only travelling around 1.30-1.45. When this was discussed in my hearing the company said that the terms and conditions of my employment states that changes to my location can be made but within reasonable travelling time. When looked into by HR they stated that reasonable travelling time is roughly 1 hr each way. Although the extra distance is only 20 mins on the train the whole travelling time for getting the bus then train and the time waiting between connections can be anywhere between 1.30 - 2hrs.
    After doing this for 2 weeks I feel that I can no longer continue with this long term as my day now is too long and travelling upto 4 hrs a day is beyond a joke. I have worked for the company for over 7 years, I have a fantastic absence history, i have been performing really well consistently in the job I do (as it was pointed out by my manager I am a victim of my own success). I now find myself in a position where I do not want to toto work and I am looking for another job purely because of the sanctions imposed on me that I find unreasonable. I have been given no pay rise for this move, I have been given a official apology for the reasons I were first given and been told that my line manager was unprofessional in the way he dealt with this. I have been moved to a workplace that needs a lot of help and has clear problems and I've been put there to sort it out, i was also moved out of my place of work where I was working to make way for an under performing manager to go into.

The past couple of weeks are starting to take its toll, I am constantly shattered, I am having a very short fuse and feeling really low about things. I went to the doctors last week and broke down, he has signed me off work for 3 weeks, with stress, panic attacks etc as I do not feel in a good place mentally and am feeling really aggrieved by this as I have not done anything wrong to feel like this apart from do my job and do it well yet I am being penalised.

2 questions I am asking,
    1. Can I apply for other jobs whilst on he sick from work and would my company have to declare this on a reference or would the question even be asked?
    2. If and when I do find another job, how would I fair taking the company to a tribunal as I in my opinion have been forced into looking for another job, process & policy has not been followed from the day was told about this, I have an impeccable work history with the company for over 7 years and what they claim is reasonable adjustments clearly is not reasonable.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks

Comment

Re: Help & advice needed re forced to changed work location

Hi Benny1986, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

Did you receive the decision re your grievance in writing?

Were you given the opportunity to appeal the decision?

Are there colleagues in the same department/job who do not have to move location?

There is more info re the grievance process here - http://www.acas.org.uk/?articleid=1670

In my honest opinion, taking the employer to ET should be 'last resort', but keep in mind that there is a time limit for doing so. (3 months minus 1 day).
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Re: Help with a unreasonable request re change of work location imposed

Hi Benny1986,

I've replied on your other thread - http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...-work-location

Hi Benny1986, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

Did you receive the decision re your grievance in writing?

Were you given the opportunity to appeal the decision?

Are there colleagues in the same department/job who do not have to move location?

There is more info re the grievance process here - http://www.acas.org.uk/?articleid=1670

In my honest opinion, taking the employer to ET should be 'last resort', but keep in mind that there is a time limit for doing so. (3 months minus 1 day).
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Re: Help with a unreasonable request re change of work location imposed

Just to add to charity's lists of questions (Note i have not read your other thread) - What time do you leave the house in the morning to go to work and what time do you get home on a night? I know it seems like a strange questions, but their is a legal reason behind me asking you, under the working time regulations.

Also how much time do you spend per day traveling to work, including the time taken to get bus stop and waiting for connections.
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Re: Help & advice needed re forced to changed work location

Changing employee work locations is often used to force people to leave. Is there any possibility that this is their purpose?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X