• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

sunday working.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sunday working.

hello , i need a bit of advice.

my employer wants me to work a few sundays. i do not want to work on sunday due to family . i have been told if i opt out they will take 7.5 hours out of my pay as they would have to employ someone else to take my place just for that day. (7.5 is how many i would work on a sunday ) . can they do this? ive been there for 12 years , work in retail and have never known they can do this. one of my co workers has been told the same and he been there for 29 years , so its not just me .

thanks..x
    Tags: None

Re: sunday working.

what does your contract of employment state on working hours

they cant take money out of your wages, s.13 employment rights act

how many sundays are we talking and how much notice will they give

has the employer asked for volunters

how many hours a week do you work now over how many days

If you were working for your employer before 26th August 1994

You cannot be forced to work on Sundays if you do not want to even if you had worked or agreed to work on Sundays before. You are classed as a “protected worker” and are protected against unfair dismissal and detrimental treatment if you refuse to work on Sundays.

if your contract does not state Sunday working is or may be expected, you are a “protected worker”. You automatically have the right not to work on Sundays and have protection against unfair dismissal.

Opting out of Sunday work

If you are expected to work on Sunday, you have the right to “opt out” of Sunday work unless you are a “Sunday only” worker. To opt out you must give 3 months’ notice in writing that you object to working on Sundays and sign and date the notice (see below for exception to 3 month notice). After the three months’ notice your employer cannot force you to work on Sundays. “Opted out” workers have protection against unfair dismissal and detrimental treatment.

Opting in to Sunday work

If you are a “protected” or “opted-out” worker you can “opt in” to do Sunday work. You must put in writing that you do not object to working on Sundays, sign and date the letter (this is an “opting in” notice) and agree with your employer what Sunday working you are prepared to do. If you do this you lose your right to refuse to work on Sunday and you would have to give a notice of opting out if you wanted to stop working on Sundays.

You could just agree to work on occasional Sundays without giving an opting in notice. This would mean you would not lose your “protected worker” status. You need to be careful that this does not become regular and replace weekday hours. If it does then you might have problems later if you want to stop working Sundays and want your weekday hours back.
    Last edited by miliitant; 15th November 2012, 00:00:AM.

Comment

my employers said its just for xmas as its busy.
      they said they can take 7.5 hours from me each week if i opt out of sunday...whether they want me in sunday or not.
      they said it was a deterrant to stop others opting out.
      i work 30 hours 5 days a week . contract says i can opt out of sundays by giving notice. they didnt ask for volunteers as they said we would have crefused...not actualy knowing if anyone would have said yes.

Comment

just give notice as stated above, they cant deduct wages either

but please put it in writing and email your opt out

what does your contract state about working hours and days

Comment

How is it that you are being asked to worked 7.5 hrs on a Sunday when shops can only open for 6 hrs, (usually 10-4 or 11-5)

And is this an addtional 7.5 hrs or will you only be working 22.5 hrs during the rest of the week (ie you'll still be working 30hrs in total)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X