• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Fixed term contracts and redundancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed term contracts and redundancy

Hi everyone :tinysmile_grin_t:

I'm currently working on a fixed term contract which started in 2009 for six months and has kept rolling on ever since. The current end date is 31st March 2013, and there is a reasonable chance that I will be offered a completely new contract starting the next day - i.e. not an extension of my current terms but a new role altogether in a separate but related org. Obviously I am within my rights to refuse this, but my question is, would I still be able to claim redundancy? The organisation I work for will cease to exist after 31st March due to large scale reorganisation, and I have already been placed "at risk".

I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

BD
    Tags: None

Re: Fixed term contracts and redundancy

this can get complicated

at the end of each contract term, was their a break in employment, say for a week, month

Although there is some legal uncertainty in this area, in general, it is safest to assume that any planned gaps in employment will not break continuity, especially if they are for a short period in comparison to the overall length of employment

Fixed-term contracts will normally end automatically when they reach the agreed end date. The employer doesn’t have to give any notice

Any employee on a fixed-term contract for 4 or more years will automatically become a permanent employee when their contract is renewed or they are given a new contract

A decision not to renew a fixed-term contract is expressly regarded in law as a dismissal

Fixed-term staff with more than a year's service are entitled not to be unfairly dismissed. Whatever their length of service, fixed-term employees can bring claims in relation to any treatment that is less favourable than that offered to comparable permanent employees
    Last edited by miliitant; 10th November 2012, 14:42:PM.

Comment

you may be entitled to statutory redundancy payments after 2 years’ service if the work ends unexpectedly

The minimum notice period fixed-term employees are entitled to is:
      • after 1 month’s continuous service, but less than 2 years – 1 week
      • after 2 years’ continuous employment – 1 week for each year worked

Comment

No sorry - that's not quite what I'm asking.

Given that the end of a fixed term contract is a dismissal in law, and in this case the contract has run continuously for more than the required 104 weeks to attract redundancy rights, if I refuse a new contract (as opposed to the contract ending and no extension being offered), would I still be entitled to collect a redundancy payment?

Comment

i can see where you are going with this but at the end of the day, its still a fixed term contract

all that you can claim is the normal redundency notice period for more than 12 months service or if the fixed term contract was terminated early after 12 months service, then redundency pay would be applicable
          Last edited by miliitant; 11th November 2012, 00:22:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X