• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Friend having problems with cleaning company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend having problems with cleaning company

Hi,

I have a friend who works for a cleaning company. Recently they accidentally damaged a customer's carpet, with this customer complaining to the cleaning company that it needs to be replaced.

Incredibly, the cleaning company withheld my friends wages for a number of weeks until the earnings covered the cost of the carpet. They made them pay for the carpet damage.

I was obviously very suspicious of this. What are my friends legal rights? I've never heard of such a thing happening.

Thanks in advance everyone.
    Tags: None

Re: Friend having problems with cleaning company

section 13 of the the employment rights act prevents the company from unlawfully withholding or making unlawful deductions from an employees wage. The company insurance would have covered the replacement of the carpet. Your friend needs to check his/her contract to see what is said about who pays for damage caused by an employee to a customers property. If nothing is stated then they can not take the money from the employees wage. They most certainly can not leave the employee with no income either and should have at the least agreed an affordable repayment rate with your friend to cover the damage if need be.

Let us know what his/her contract says in regards to such incidents!
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
      section 13 of the the employment rights act prevents the company from unlawfully withholding or making unlawful deductions from an employees wage. The company insurance would have covered the replacement of the carpet. Your friend needs to check his/her contract to see what is said about who pays for damage caused by an employee to a customers property. If nothing is stated then they can not take the money from the employees wage. They most certainly can not leave the employee with no income either and should have at the least agreed an affordable repayment rate with your friend to cover the damage if need be.

Let us know what his/her contract says in regards to such incidents!
      Apparently the company boss said they didn't have insurance, which was supposed to justify their actions somehow. I'll ask my friend to get a copy of the contract, but by the sounds of it I'm not even sure there is one. If there is no contract then what is the situation? What if there is a contract but it says nothing about damage to client properties?

It certainly is outrageous that the company didn't work out a repayment plan.

Comment

the company must have public liability insurance to trade as its entering other peoples property

demand they replace the wages with immediate efect in writing or a claim to the employment tribunal service will be submitted

even if its included into a contract of employment i would consider it an unfair implied term

this is not damage through a malicious act or theft of stock, it was an ACCIDENT, and subject to an insurance claim

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
          the company must have public liability insurance to trade as its entering other peoples property

demand they replace the wages with immediate efect in writing or a claim to the employment tribunal service will be submitted

even if its included into a contract of employment i would consider it an unfair implied term

this is not damage through a malicious act or theft of stock, it was an ACCIDENT, and subject to an insurance claim
          So this company might be trading without Public Liability Insurance? Is that legal? If it's not then they could be in big trouble.

Comment

No its generally voluntary to have. Though if your a company that is in close contact with the public or customers its wise to have it, to cover legal costs and losses incurred by member of the public or customer whos been injured or suffered damage to property as a result of the companies employees, products etc.

As for the contract, it would not be an unfair term if the worker was self employed. Nor would it be unfair if the cost was spilt 50/50 - In fact, it may not be unfair at all, though the action of the employer taking the full amount and leave the employee/worker with no income is more what is more likely to be deemed unfair and unreasonable. Remember in contract law, a party is responsiable to cover the cost incurred by the other party as a result of the actions of the first party under the contract (granted such cost would be far less if they had insurance) - The company could claim the employee/worker acted with insufficient duty of care to the customers property (was negligent), which led to the carpet being damaged, something they may be able to quite easliy proof. But thats not the issue here. The issue here is they unlawfully deducted it from his/her wages, as the employer would have required his/her prior consent to deduct it, which is the main reason why i asked what his/her contract stated, because if he/she gave permission for the employer to deduct such costs from there wages then the employer may not be in breach of section 13 - Because if its in the contract then prior permission has been given as per section 14 subsection 4. Though granted under section 15 subsection 2 it does make clear that the employee has the right to not make payments to the employer if no written contract including such terms was given or no written confirmation of of such verbally or implied terms where given to the employer.
            Last edited by teaboy2; 9th November 2012, 13:59:PM.
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

I HAVE MADE THE MISTAKE ON PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE AND EMPLOYERS LIABILITY INSURANCE

By law it is a legal obligation for all employers to have a minimum cover of 5 million pounds. This is covered by the Employers liability (Compulsory insurance) Act 1969 and your business can be fined up to £2500 per day that this is not in place and up to £1000 as an on the spot fine if you do not have your certificate on display. Public liability it not required by law and is voluntary however will protect you against any risk.

Comment

But thats employers liability insurance, which covers their liability for injury or loss caused to there employees. Public Liability insurance is different and is not compulsory like employers liability is, and its public liability insurance that would cover the OP's situation with the customers damaged carpet.

Ahh sorry, just noticed you added about the public liability on the end of your post. Time i got glasses i think

Comment

thats the error i made, i confused the two

i would bet my house that this employer does not even have employers liability insurance if they are cost cutting on public liability insurance

Comment

I bet your right too. So thats defiently something that could be thrown at them, as one report to HSE would put them out of business!

Comment

It would be interesting to get a look at the cleaning contract as supplied to the customer.

Comment

The three main insurance policies an employer should have are -

Employer's Liability - mandatory, covers injury to and damage to health of employees;
                        Public Liability - voluntary, covers third party damage/injury risks;
                        Product Liability - voluntary, covers third party damage/injury risks associated with products manufactured/supplied by a business.
                        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X