• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Maternity & Fixed term Internal-Secondment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maternity & Fixed term Internal-Secondment?

Hi I'm writing this on behalf of my wife who is a qualified & registered Social Worker working for a Local Authority.

So far she has >3 years ongoing service with the same Local Authority in various fixed term contracts both full time and part time, In August 2011 she moved to a permanent position 4 days/week. In April 2012 she took up a full time '12 month fixed term internal-secondment' at a higher grade.

My wife is now pregnant and due in March 2013, a month before the secondment finishes.

She has enjoyed her work and I believe had she not been pregnant her secondment would have been extended or turned into a permanent position. several of her colleagues are on 12 month fixed term contracts, and have been told their contracts will be renewed, the department had been actively advertising positions at her grade. (but none right now) and they are still under staffed.

I have several queries regarding contractual maternity pay and pension contributions.

The Rules on SMP (statutory maternity pay) are quite clear and she doesn't loose out on this since it is calculated on earning prior to going on maternity leave however the wording on her CMP (Contractual maternity Pay) is different as they talk about 'what she would be earning' and in this case the suggestion is she would be going back to her substantive post at a lower grade and 4 days/week! a hit on two fronts!

Is there any case to treat this as non-renewal of a fixed term contract and hence dismissal?

So far she has sent an email to her manager to formally expressing an interest in continuing with her current position beyond the end of her secondment whether as a fixed term contract or permanent. I have also advised her to keep an eye on the Local Authority's job pages should her department advertise any positions, and that she should apply regardless of pregnancy and maternity.

My second query is about pension contributions, is there any specific legislation that defines how the employers contributions are calculated during maternity leave, i.e. similar to the definition of SMP? or is it again based on 'What she would be earning'? As I understand it her contributions are based on actual actual pay but the the employers contributions have to be maintained at the normal earnings level?

Finally are there any other avenues we should be exploring, I have done a lot of on-line research but nothing which comes close to this scenario!

Regards

Olly
    Tags: None

Re: Maternity & Fixed term Internal-Secondment?

Bumping up for help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X