• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

changing work shift without notice - can they do this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing work shift without notice - can they do this?

Hi,

Wondered if you can help me, my sister's work have been changing her work shifts and not informing her. She is a single parent with a one year old and has to arrange childcare so she can work - they know this.

She is contracted to work 4 hours a week - on a Sunday. Since she started they have been giving her 8-16 hours a week which she is fine with as they were giving her at least a weeks notice of her working hours. The rota is supposed to be written up every 4 weeks, she always checks the rota every time she is working to make sure there have been no changes, however the past few weeks they have been putting her down for extra hours at the last minute and not telling her.

A few weeks ago she worked her usual hours on the Sunday, checked the rota before leaving and was written down as being in again the following Sunday. She went in to the shop on the Wednesday to do some shopping and saw that she had been written down to work the next day (on a 5-9 shift), but no-one told her. She spoke to them and said she could work that day on this occasion as her child's Dad was having him anyway, but she did say to them no-one had told her and had she not come in to do shopping she wouldn't have known and that they need her to any extra hours other than her contracted Sunday they must ask her if she can work prior to putting her down for a shift.

Last week they did the same thing, she checked the rota on the Sunday - it said she was due to work the following Friday. They then changed the rota so she was working on the Wednesday not Friday but as no-one told her she didn't know and so didn't turn up on the Wednesday. They have now given her a disciplinary for not turning up.

She has now gone in to start her shift today (to work 1pm - 5pm as the rota on Sunday said she should be doing). They have changed her hours so she is now working 5-9. She has had to call around to get childcare for this evening (which luckily we have been able to do - although were tempted to tell them where they could stick it).

In my view they should be giving her at least 24 hours notice of any changes to the rota (even if its only so they can be sure they will have the staff in that they need). I've asked her to bring me her contract as I am sure that should say about how much notice they will give, but wondered if in the meantime anyone can tell me what legal requirement there is in this case?

(The place she works is a large well-known chain of shops and we will be contacting the head-office HR department to get the disciplinary removed and possibly lodge a formal complaint against her manager over this).

Thanks for your help.
    Tags: None

Re: changing work shift without notice - can they do this?

how long has she been employed for

Comment

about 3 months

Comment

They have to give you advance notice if they wish to cange your shift pattern to enable you to do things like child care issues

if the employer is aware of this and ignores then its an equality issue but

to be blunt

as you have been employed for less that two years, the employer can get rid of you with no recourse in your circumstances. Only disability etc would be an exception

time to look for another job i would think

Comment

I thought as much, she will be looking for another job - should be plenty around looking for xmas workers. I think once she has given them her notice we will take raise this with the head office HR dept to try put a stop to the manager doing the same thing with future employees (unless she wants to raise it and risk losing her job where they will make out is for any reason other than her contacting HR so she can't take them to a tribunal for unfair dismissal).

Thank you for your help miliitant

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X