• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Work Breaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Breaks

I have just had an informal meeting with my manager.

There will be some changes at the site we look after and there is a proposals that because of the needs of the site/buisness will be changing they would like to pay us for our breaks so we don't leave the site. We currently take 30 minutes unpaid break where we can leave the site.

Would we ultimatly have to accpet this is they could justify the needs of the buiness warrent someone on site in an emergancy situation?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Work Breaks

you do not have to accept the change if the majority of staff think it is unreasonable but they are offering paid breaks, so may i ask what are your objections

the working time directive states an employer can tell you when to have your break, and it can be away from your place of work

place of work usually means away from your desk etc as by the time you have gone to the nearest caffe, it will be time to return

so i ask

what are your objections

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
      you do not have to accept the change if the majority of staff think it is unreasonable but they are offering paid breaks, so may i ask what are your objections

the working time directive states an employer can tell you when to have your break, and it can be away from your place of work

place of work usually means away from your desk etc as by the time you have gone to the nearest caffe, it will be time to return

so i ask

what are your objections

Thanks for the reply miliitant,

Firstly it not been officially offered to us at the moment.

Some staff live locally or wish to go off site for there unpaid breaks (were open from 0700-23.30) as there is ample shops within a 2 minute drive, so it more than feasible to ensure a proper 'break from work' can be taken in unpaid time, as ultimately it is a person 'free' time.

I just wanted to get the full legal side correct before negotiations take place.

It appears the new offer will be a paid break of 30 minutes, but without being able to leave the site. However because of the above if the pay is of standard rate I'm not sure it will really appeal to all staff members concerned as monetary value will be low, so an unpaid break being allowed off site will probably look more favorable to staff, but not our employer.
      Last edited by rizel23; 24th October 2012, 12:58:PM.

Comment

believe it or not they can impose the change to your contract if they wish.
        it would be in violation of the working time directive though in that you are able to take your break away from your place of work.

if that happened you will have three choices

1/ accept the change
        2/ accept the change and work under protest
        3/ resign and claim constructive dismissal

in my professional opinion as a rep

i would say grab it, its a bonus

PAID BREAKS

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
          believe it or not they can impose the change to your contract if they wish.
          it would be in violation of the working time directive though in that you are able to take your break away from your place of work.

if that happened you will have three choices

1/ accept the change
          2/ accept the change and work under protest
          3/ resign and claim constructive dismissal

in my professional opinion as a rep

i would say grab it, its a bonus

PAID BREAKS
          Thanks again, its a Council so i presume things will needed to be done by the book, can always get the union on board soon as offically made aware of the intentions, but the common sense approach would be to accept i think.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X