• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Dealing with bullying from a Manager

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with bullying from a Manager

First of all thankyou in advance for viewing & replying .

My partner works for a large company with numerous sites throughout the UK .They do have an HR department at head office .

Last week her & her colleagues had a product knowledge test in their morning meeting of which she scored the lowest ,as a result the manager told her that she had to buy everyone breakfast for the next meeting .So when the next meeting was to take place the manager asked her if she was buying breakfast for everyone & that if she didn't she wouldn't be able to attend the meeting ,so quite simply she didn't & ended up getting upset afterwards .

There have been other things going on over the years which consist of having to work extra hours that were not in her original contract as well as doing additional duties however my main reason to posting is the above .

Now i have never worked for a big enough company that has an HR dept ,is it worth her while contacting them on such occurance taking place ? Is it worth it ? I guess her concern is that if it is found out she has contacted them that he could make working there even more unbareable .When i heard what had happened i was disgusted to hear she was given such an ultamatum & one where she was expected to pay for .

Any advice is appreciated .
    Tags: None

Re: Dealing with bullying from a Manager

believe me , this is not uncommon and i loathe this sort of performance management technique

i once walked inn a room full of sales people shouting in a conference room, they were playing bowles on the nintendo wi. i was told its a team building exercise

but to answer your question i need to ask some myself

how long working for the company and is their a trade union within the company

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
      i once walked inn a room full of sales people shouting in a conference room, they were playing bowles on the nintendo wi. i was told its a team building exercise
      Sorry but that actually made me chuckle .

However to answer your questions Miliitant she has been employed at this company for approx 5 years & no there is no trade union .

I work in a different company but in the same industry and never heard of anyone being expected to buy colleagues things then threatened with avoiding future meetings if she didn't do it ,it's a form of blackmail in my opinion ,whatever happened to offering additional training if someones knowledge didn't meet the cut :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Thanks again

Comment

IF SOMEONES KNOWLEDGE DOES "NOT MEET THE CUT"

then the employer has to give extra traning and support to bring the employee up to the standard the company expects
        to be honest, even though i disagree with what he did, he might not have thought he was doing anything wrong.

in the position of the employee i would keep a diary of events that can be used over say three months. that way you have concise evidence if a formal grievance is needed

the manager had no authority to exclude you from the meeting and might the employee have a quiet word with the manager over coffee about the way the staff member is being managed

i myself have gone up against managers who are no more than a bully, but others who just do not think they have done anything wrong due to inadaquate traning that they receive

keep your thread updated if things get worse and i will step inn.

staff should not put up with this in the modern workplace, especially if the manager is not old enough to shave as an example

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X