• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

health and safety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• health and safety

I am just hoping I am in the right otherwise im in trouble.

Today I refused to take in a delivery , which consisted of pallets , roll cages , crates etc all which are heavy. The pallets are heavy and I have really struggled in the past to move them. The porters of the store who takes in the delivery refused to take it in saying they were instore today to remerchandise not to take in delivery. I claimed it was health and safety as they are too heavy for me to move and they are also stacked really high..being a 5 ft female everything seems high to me..lol. They said they would do it but they be having words with my manager about me refusing to do it tomorrow. Im not a strong female and know its too heavy for me to push / pull pallets. One of the men actually struggled with a pallet of catalogues so what chance have I got if he was struggling?
    Surely there is health and safety rule stating not to lift / do work which is too heavy for you to manage?
    Tags: None

Re: health and safety

Have you received training in manual handling?

Are you on a permanent contract? Are you in a Union?
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Yes. You are correct about the rules regarding lifting and carrying. This falls under Manual Handling Regulations, which falls under the umbrella of Health & Safety Law. Your employer should have provided you with training in this. From what you have posted, it sounds like you work for a retailer. If this is, indeed, the case, the health and safety inspectors at your local authority's environmental health department are the best people to speak to regarding what sounds to me to be an unsatisfactory state of affairs. If you are a member of a trade union, speak to them.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/manualhandling.htm
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

I have been given manual handelling training and this is why I suspected they cant make me do it. I am not in the union and on a permanent contract.
          Thanks for the link , I will look into it..x

Comment

You need to speak to health and safety inspectors and ACAS.

It is a requirement of Section 7, Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 that you take all possible steps to ensure your own health and safety as well as those who may be affected by your actions and/or omissions and to assist your employer as far as is possible in complying with their statutory duties and obligations under Sections 2 and 3 of the Act.

If you go to www.legislation.gov.uk, you can download a copy of the Act.
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X