• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

holliday entitlement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holliday entitlement

my daughter works for a bakery, she gets 28 days holliday a year and works 16 hours a week over 3 days
    her employer says she has to take 5 days of her holliday allowence if she wants to have a full week off
    this cant be right can it ? she should only need to take 3 days of her holliday allowence to cover the days she works to take a full week off
    this has gone on for the last 4 years
    can anybody advise my daughter please
    thank you

bambisoloved
    Tags: None

Re: holliday entitlement

Hi,
    Here is info from ACAS regarding holiday entitlement, it should help make things clearer.
    If you still are unsure give them a call they are very helpful indeed.
    http://www.acas.org.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=955&p=0

Enaid x

Comment

thank you enaid for that information

have had a quick look on the site you gave me and it has a lot of useful info but i cant find anything about my question about my daughters employer asking her to book 5 days of her holliday allowence if she wants a whole week off when she only works 3 days a week
      i think she should only have to use 3 of her holliday entitlement if she works 3 days to take a week off
      does this make sense to you?
      hope you can help

bambisoloved

Comment

Part-time workers
        Paid holiday entitlement is calculated pro-rata for part-time workers.

So if a member of staff works three days a week, they are entitled to 16.8 days (5.6 x 3).

Bank and public holidays can be included as part of your minimum 5.6 weeks' holiday entitlement.

So if your daughter books 3 days off (the days she normally works) she would have 13.8 days left.

The way her boss is doing it she would only have 8.8 days left. If she had 2 weeks off according to her boss she then would only have 3.8 days left, which would not even give her 3 weeks holiday.
        I do think you should ring ACAS and also check her employment contract and make sure there is nothing in there that can allow this to happen.
        I have worked part time and I have never had that happen to me.
        You should mention to ACAS too if this has been going on over the past 4 yrs and her boss is wrong in doing this, is there any way she can be compensated for hols or hol pay lost over that period.

Comment

dear enaid

thank you for your advice

my daughter rang acas yesterday and she said they were very helpful
          they have confirmed that what they are doing is againt the law and suggests she write to them asking to correct her holiday entitlement immediatly within 14 days
          if they dont acas advice taking them to a tribunal
          my daughter is encouraged by this and wants to persue this
          apparently many other workers have done this for other illigal practices
          which explains why there is a high turn over of staff

bambisoloved

Comment

I am pleased that you have found the answer to your question, I have dealt with ACAS so know how good they can be.
            Please let us know the outcome, as not only would we like to know the result it will maybe help others with similar problems in the future.
            Thanks Enaid x

Comment

I used to work 21 hours a week over 3 days in my last job, before I had to give up work due to FM. I can assure your daughter she only needs to book 3 days, yes, 3 days annual leave. Either her employer is extracting the yellow stuff or clearly doesn't know the annual leave laws. I've found that ACAS are very good with advice, which is impartial and free.
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

ACAS also offer a mediation service.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2009
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X