• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

BAD Credit History preventing you gettin a job or promotion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAD Credit History preventing you gettin a job or promotion?

Hi
    as more and more potential new employers are taking up a credit check
    has any one got experience that a bad credit history has prevented them getting a job or a promotion???
    Tags: None

Re: BAD Credit History Preventin you gettin a job or promotion

I have heard people saying that it does have an effect but I haven't actually heard anyone who has actually been turned down for a position because of their credit file.

Only one I can think of on here is a bankworker had a disciplinary at work because they'd fallen behind in loan repayments.

I suppose it depends on the type of industry / job you are wanting to work in whether your credit file would legitimately matter.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

A recent one.

Mostly finance related, but some of the comments are more off that area.

Refused job application due to IVA - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Comment

Yeah, there's a poster on CAG who worked in the banking industry. He had a 999 Experian score and HSBC put in one or two late payment markers, credit fell to 400 - in error - and it cost him a job.

Last I read on that thread he was suing the bank.

I'll go on CAG and post up the link here for you. No idea what the latest is on that as haven't read it for a while. However, the bank, realising what it had done, sneakily removed the adverse data after the event. However, the victim had kept screen prints.

Its not just employers mate. Its private landlords as well.

We were looking to rent from a private landlord who asked us to fill in a form, requesting our dates of birth. When we queried why he was asking for our DoBs he said it was for a credit check. We told him to **** off. He had no right to that information from tenants.
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        Right, here you go.
        http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...14#post3226314
        Last edited by The Debt Star; 16th June 2011, 11:37:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The world has gone data mad IMO. Everybody thinks they have a right to other peoples' data without due cause for having it. Helped a young lad in my village a couple of weeks ago. His employers were insisting on a copy of his passport in the place he's worked for three years already. Where? Sportsworld selling trainers and footballs and stuff. Why do they need his passport? They didn't get it!

Most employers should have no right to your credit record. To the best of my knowledge there is no proven link between debt and theft at work.
          Last edited by Caspar; 16th June 2011, 18:33:PM. Reason: Used to be a teacher - terrible spelling mistake lol!

Comment

Hi Caspar. We had similar in Next. They asked for our postcode when we were purchasing clothes for our kids FFS. The excuse they gave was that since part of the purchase price was for returns it was to prevent fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
              Most employers should have no right to your credit record.
              I don't think ANY employers should have that 'right.'

Where does that 'right' to access our credit files come from? They don't have any such 'right.'

We freely give permission when its asked for. The problem is that if we refuse its tantamount to constructive dismissal if we refuse to (if already in work) and its discrimination if not because we won't get offered the job.

This is a massive human rights issue imo. Our economic distress or otherwise is entirely our own, personal concern. As long as we do our jobs well, pay our rent, whatever, it should make no difference.

The scavenging for data that's going on now is ludicrous and requires legislation.

Certainly the CRAs should be regulated.

Comment

Not just the CRA's. The whole issue is out of control. Similarly with Human Rights. When my mum went into a home recently due to the car crash we all knew she couldn't cope alone at home. She didn't want to go into the home so we had to let her fail. She fell, injured herself and went into the home as Social Services said she needed to. Would they listen to us? No!

Next are naughty. They'll use post codes to set up accounts without people knowing. It's somewhere in all their small print (or was).

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                  They'll use post codes to set up accounts without people knowing.
                  what sort of accounts?

yeah, we knew perfectly well the real raeson for them asking for data.

PC world also used to ask for addresses and post codes on each purchase, then stopped for some reason. Probably because people like me refused to give them my data when all I wanted was an ink refill.

The wider issue of employer/private landlord access to credit files needs addressing imo.

Comment

The reason im asking is to try and find anecdotal evidence of this... A creditor is seeking to get a Charging Order against me for a debt in sole name.

Jointly have a mortgage with my wife......

She works for a bank and the mortgage is held with the bank she works for...

so when the bank become aware of a new charge on the house by creditor she is worried she will loose her job.

Im sure this will be compelling reason for the judge not to grant the CO

Comment

Not my area but I would imagine that if she loses her job over a debt you owe in your sole name that would be unlawful dismissal.

Moreover, if she fails to get promoted because of it then that is constructive dismissal.

I would certainly make the court aware of the situation your wife is in.

Hopefully, someone with experience in this area will come along to this thread. Might Leclerc have some knowledge given his banking background for instance?

As for anecdotal evidence, I have already given you a link (above) to a case involving a bank worker.

DS
                      Last edited by The Debt Star; 16th June 2011, 13:27:PM.

Comment

Hi Debtstar, thanks for your concern......hoping it wont get to that as i am hoping to hold off the C/O

will get my wife to do a WS for the hearing explaining this potential problem and appeal to the judges better nature

im due a nice judge as ive had 3 really ****ty ones

Comment

Hi, yeah I am concerned, in all truth, because this kinda stuff is becoming more and more common and will affect us all sooner or later, not just bank workers.

Comment

i have been refused several jobs in the financial sector because my credit rting is a smoking ruin. i was employed by welcome finance and after getting made redundant, and my wife getting ill. i have been told directly by nationwide that as i have ccjs i am not aa fit and proper person to work in finance and i might compromise their consumer credit licence. other employers have told thr agencies that they wont takr staff with bad credit histories. so i' was out of work for over a year .

Comment

seduraed........ sorry to hear your problems getting back to work

hope something turns up ....

which branch of welcome were you at?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X