• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unlawful deduction of wages / breach of contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlawful deduction of wages / breach of contract

mariefab Ula

I have a scenario which I am hoping you could provide some assistance on or at least your views.

The employee has signed a contract with her employer and under the terms of the employment contract it specifically references a clause relating to deductions. This clause says that the employer reserves the right to make deductions from any monies due to the employee from the employer and goes on further to say that by way of illustration it also includes the right to recover money under any loans made by the employer to the employee.

The above clause is all clear and understandable in my view however, the employer and the employee then entered into a separate loan agreement with separate terms. Those terms and conditions simply state that where the employee leaves the business they will have to repay the loan based on the sliding scale (in this case 40%). It does not say that it has to be immediately, in full or on demand.

So, two questions:

1. I understand there is an exemption for unlawful deduction of wages relating to loans. So any claim brought by the employee would effectively be a breach of contract - do you agree?

2. Are you aware of any case law that suggests the terms of the employment contract overrides any subsequent agreement in relation to loans? My initial thought is that the clause under the employment contract for the right to deduct wages where there is an outstanding loan, is nothing more than an agreement to agree. Secondly, the employee and the employer entered into a separate agreement entirely for the loan and under the usual rules of contract, the clause in the employment contract was never incorporated within the '4 corners' of the loan agreement. So any terms of the agreement for the loan overrule the general terms under the employment contract.

So if the employer tried to deduct any wages from the employee concerning the loan agreement, would you think that could amount to breach of contract?

The employee has no concern about making the repayments of the loan and is happy to do so, her main worry is that upon leaving her current employer she will have no wages to see her through until her next payment at her new job.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by R0b View Post
    mariefab Ula

I have a scenario which I am hoping you could provide some assistance on or at least your views.

The employee has signed a contract with her employer and under the terms of the employment contract it specifically references a clause relating to deductions. This clause says that the employer reserves the right to make deductions from any monies due to the employee from the employer and goes on further to say that by way of illustration it also includes the right to recover money under any loans made by the employer to the employee.

The above clause is all clear and understandable in my view however, the employer and the employee then entered into a separate loan agreement with separate terms. Those terms and conditions simply state that where the employee leaves the business they will have to repay the loan based on the sliding scale (in this case 40%). It does not say that it has to be immediately, in full or on demand.

So, two questions:

1. I understand there is an exemption for unlawful deduction of wages relating to loans. So any claim brought by the employee would effectively be a breach of contract - do you agree?

2. Are you aware of any case law that suggests the terms of the employment contract overrides any subsequent agreement in relation to loans? My initial thought is that the clause under the employment contract for the right to deduct wages where there is an outstanding loan, is nothing more than an agreement to agree. Secondly, the employee and the employer entered into a separate agreement entirely for the loan and under the usual rules of contract, the clause in the employment contract was never incorporated within the '4 corners' of the loan agreement. So any terms of the agreement for the loan overrule the general terms under the employment contract.

So if the employer tried to deduct any wages from the employee concerning the loan agreement, would you think that could amount to breach of contract?

The employee has no concern about making the repayments of the loan and is happy to do so, her main worry is that upon leaving her current employer she will have no wages to see her through until her next payment at her new job.
    Does the loan agreement reference the employment contract? Something like:

1. These Terms (together with the XX Ltd Employment Contract) are between the Company and the Employee, and govern the obligations of both parties under any contract for the provision of the Loan.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

How has the employee been repaying the loan?
      Has it been by deduction from wages or by making separate payments?

Comment

jaguarsuk No it doesn't however, it might be best if I clarify some points.

Clause A says that the loan agreement forms part of the "Principal Agreement" which is defined as the contract of employment made between the employer and the employee.

Clause B is a boiler plate entire agreement clause which says that "This Agreement" (being the loan agreement) represents the entire agreement between the employer and the employee and replaces and supersedes all prior agreements, arrangements, statements etc. with respect to the subject matter.

There are two things that I would make from the above. The first is that "forms part of the Principal Agreement" in my view means that essentially they form one agreement as a whole. However, I would say that it is arguable that there might be a conflict between the deduction clause in the employment contract and the obligation to repay the outstanding amount under the loan agreement. For further clarity there is no order of precedence in the employment contract or conflict of terms clause.

The second point is that by virtue of Clause B, it refers to the loan agreement which supersedes all prior arrangements or agreements so I would like to think that the employee is on comfortable ground in saying that if the employer decides to deduct any wages from the employee, they would be in breach of contract on the face of it, since there is no term under the loan agreement to deduct the outstanding balance from the wages or thats how I see it anyway.

mariefab Sorry I forgot to add that the loan is not repayable unless the employee leaves within 2 years of completion of a course (on a sliding scale). So there is no repayment being made by the employee but she suspects they will want to deduct her wages on leaving part way through the month.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Having a separate agreement to repay training costs is normal good practice. It's almost a requirement as the employer can only recoup the costs if there's a signed agreement.

Clause A and the specific mention in the contract of employment of the right to make deductions to recover money due from loans may be sufficient to permit the employer to deduct all of the final wage to partially recoup the loan.

I'd suggest not waiting to see whether the employer deducts the money.
          Raise the deduction/repayment conflict.
          Point out that there's no timescale in the agreement for repayment of the loan.
          Offer a payment plan.

P.S. If your friend did not resign she would have to receive at least the minimum wage.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
            jaguarsuk No it doesn't however, it might be best if I clarify some points.

Clause A says that the loan agreement forms part of the "Principal Agreement" which is defined as the contract of employment made between the employer and the employee.

Clause B is a boiler plate entire agreement clause which says that "This Agreement" (being the loan agreement) represents the entire agreement between the employer and the employee and replaces and supersedes all prior agreements, arrangements, statements etc. with respect to the subject matter.

There are two things that I would make from the above. The first is that "forms part of the Principal Agreement" in my view means that essentially they form one agreement as a whole. However, I would say that it is arguable that there might be a conflict between the deduction clause in the employment contract and the obligation to repay the outstanding amount under the loan agreement. For further clarity there is no order of precedence in the employment contract or conflict of terms clause.

The second point is that by virtue of Clause B, it refers to the loan agreement which supersedes all prior arrangements or agreements so I would like to think that the employee is on comfortable ground in saying that if the employer decides to deduct any wages from the employee, they would be in breach of contract on the face of it, since there is no term under the loan agreement to deduct the outstanding balance from the wages or thats how I see it anyway.

mariefab Sorry I forgot to add that the loan is not repayable unless the employee leaves within 2 years of completion of a course (on a sliding scale). So there is no repayment being made by the employee but she suspects they will want to deduct her wages on leaving part way through the month.
            Clause B essentially contradicts clause A due to A ruling they form one agreement and then B superseding all previous agreements, how is it possible for the employment contract to form part of that agreement in A if it has been superseded?

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Because it "supersedes all prior agreements, arrangements, statements etc. with respect to the subject matter." The subject matter being training costs.
              Sometimes employees embark on another training course before 2 years have passed since the last course so an updated agreement is required..

Comment

Originally posted by mariefab View Post
                Because it "supersedes all prior agreements, arrangements, statements etc. with respect to the subject matter." The subject matter being training costs.
                Sometimes employees embark on another training course before 2 years have passed since the last course so an updated agreement is required..
                Ah, missed that. Thanks

Comment

Deleted
                  Last edited by R0b; 17th July 2018, 19:15:PM.
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X