• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Failed drugs test at temporary job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed drugs test at temporary job

Hi

I'm really hoping someone will kindly give me some advice. I took on a temp role which a friend recommended me for. This company starts all basic employees via a temp agency so after an induction I signed up with the agency, signed their contract and they took up references. At the induction I was told that the company has a zero tolerance policy towards recreational drug use and that they carried out random testing from time to time. I was told that it was usual that a few people were selected for testing but any agency workers would pretty much be automatically selected. I was further told that a positive result for an agency worker would result in instant termination (they have a different process for permanent staff).

Two weeks ago I was unwell and didn't go to work but my friend who had recommended me for the job (who I share a house with) came home early and said she had tested positive for drugs and that she had been suspended (she is a permanent employee). I returned to work the following day and was asked to provide a urine sample for testing (the testers had returned the following to day to test anyone that they had missed the previous day. I tested positive - the tester called a manager who asked if I wanted to have a c.hat about this - I said that knowing their policy that there wasn't any point. I handed my keys etc back and said that I was leaving immediately which I did.

I called the agency the following day and the chap there didn't seem at all surprised or particularly bothered and agreed that he was happy to give me a reference. I thought no more about it and picked up other work the next week.

My friend, however, was called for an investigative meeting with her line manager. My friend is adamant that she didn't knowingly take any illegal drugs and would be foolish to due to health issues - her line manager then produced my test results in full so that she could read and comment on this.

I have a very strong feeling that this company has crossed a big line here. I have not seen the results but am now imagining that they are all over this company and that a man I have never even met thinks it's ok to share my private information. I was also shocked that they continued to test the sample since I was no longer working there and did not have a contract of employment with them anyway.

Is there anything I can do?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X