• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Mice in the office

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mice in the office

Hello

I’m hoping that I may be able to get a bit of guidance with a situation at work. I have a phobia of mice, I have to admit it is rather extreme of the screaming, crying jumping on tables type of phobia. I work in the Head Office for a large multi national company which unfortunately has a significant problem with mice. This week there were two sightings near my desk which did make me rather anxious but as I didn’t see one I tried to pretend it didn’t exist. However my good luck ended and I saw one underneath my desk this was swiftly followed by a rather spectacular display of screaming and crying from me which culminated on me being wheeled out on my computer chair as I was afraid to put my feet on the floor.

I have to admit that my employers do have rentokil pest attend frequently but it doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve worked from home for the past couple of days since the sighting and am feeling terribly anxious about returning to the office on Monday.

My line manager works in a different location to me and is aware of my phobia. I know it is stupid that the mouse can’t hurt me but logic disappears as soon as I see one.

I can’t quite explain how extreme my phobia is, I’d really like to know what requests can be reasonably made of my employer. I know I have a phobia but the job I have chosen isn’t one where you would expect to come into daily contact with mice. Am I unreasonable to expect to be able to work in a mouse free environment? Is it reasonable of me to request to work from an alternative location until they are under control.

I will add for context that this isn’t a one off the mice have been in my area this week but there are daily sighting of them in other parts of the building so it is a widespread problem. It is a constant issue and I have such feelings of dread about Monday, I can’t sleep with worry it’s on my mind hence this very early morning message.

Any guidance or suggestions welcome, I’ve tried calming tablets which didn’t seem to work.

Thanks

OfficeGal
    Tags: None

Hi, I cannot say I know this particular area well, I would have thought though, it would be a health and safety issue or aspect? Especially if food stuffs are about (your lunches for example, if you take a pack up), sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Comment

From someone with an irrational fear of balloons, and someone who had a complete meltdown and panic attack after an office birthday party, there is nothing shameful about being afraid.

I'm tagging Ula mariefab Peridot for more help.
      PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Originally posted by beaconsman View Post
        Hi, I cannot say I know this particular area well, I would have thought though, it would be a health and safety issue or aspect? Especially if food stuffs are about (your lunches for example, if you take a pack up), sorry I cannot be more helpful.
        Chewing through electrical cables (health and safety?)

Comment

3 year old thread

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X