• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Labourer in construction looking to be paid under CIS to avoid 30% tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labourer in construction looking to be paid under CIS to avoid 30% tax

Hi

I'm very confused with my current situation as it involves being registered with HMRC under the CIS as a subcontractor (Carrying out their own work) but being paid via an agency (who is also a subcontractor) through an umberella company who are paying me under PAYE.

I've been labouring for about 2 years now, some of it semi skilled and some just basically pushing a broom, it was only recently i found out about CIS so i registered with HMRC, i have a UTR number and last year i completed my first tax return, which was simple because i only worked for two companies then and had both p60's so i could do it myself, i also wasn't registered under CIS back then.

But, today I am more skilled, i bring tools with me and have my own protective equipment, i am on a small site whereby temporarily i have been given the role of temporary site manager...but without the remuneration that goes with the responsibilities, i am being paid £7.83 per hour, the same as the other labourers but my responsibilities include meeting the clients on site, arranging collections and deliveries of materials on the site, organising and motivating the labour and ensuring everyone is adhering to the health and safety regulations, i also have to send in the time sheets and answer questions about pay and deal with queries from newly employed labourers. I have a lot more on my plate than being told where to sweep my broom!

Yet i speak to the umbrella company who legally are my so called 'employer' and when i asked them to put me on CIS it was as if i had mentioned a very taboo word and they came up with a whole list of reasons why they wouldn't put me on it despite me telling them that A) i am registered with HMRC as CIS subby B)i'm using my own equipment C) I am in a position of responsiblility greater than a standard labourer. They tell me 'doesn't matter, you're a worker for us and you are still below the director and whilst you have someone above you who advises you on a schedule of works you can't be paid via CIS' now i told this fella that surely everyone has someone 'above' them to a certain extent, even a plumber on his own can get kicked off a building site for not following the site rules or breaching health and safety.

Anyway, i have employed the services of an accountant last week and during my chat with him he advised me to speak to the contractor directly and ask them to pay my directly via invoce.

My main question is this. If you are a labourer, you purchase your own PPE, some tasks may be directed...others you are expected to deal with as and when they arise, do you have a legal right to request payment under CIS? the only other option being, you then pay £20 per week for an umbrella company to process your pay through PAYE to realise that the advertised rate of £10.50 ph actually still only works out at £7.83 ph when the subcontractor fee is presented on your payslip before income tax and NI
    Tags: None

Follow the advice of your accountant. If the contractor is happy then you can tell the umbrella company where to go, subject to any contractual requirements. Of course the umbrella company want to keep you on their books, you're a source of money for them without much effort.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X