• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

GDPR - Former employer non-compliant with a SAR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDPR - Former employer non-compliant with a SAR

I was wondering if someone could give some advice:

A SAR was made to my former employer (based in another EU member state) under GDPR, requesting copies of all personal data. The employer responded to the GDPR, however they omitted huge amounts of personal data without explanation. They even made reference of transferring my personal data to third parties, but failed to disclose exactly what they transferred and any communication between the parties.

The ICO recommended responding to the employer's SAR response, giving them 5 working days to provide all personal data which is missing. This has been done, along with specific examples as to the data that the employer controls and processes containing personal data.

It is very unlikely that the employer will provide the personal data requested.

Under GDPR, data subjects can seek a judicial remedy for any infringement of their rights in the country in which they are habitually resident. So the question I have, is can a court in England make an order against my former employer in another EU state requiring them to disclose all personal data they are processing? If so, does anyone know the process?

Thanks

Tags: None

[QUOTE]Under GDPR, data subjects can seek a judicial remedy for any infringement of their rights in the country in which they are habitually resident./QUOTE]
    I'm not sure if there is a reference to the above under the GDPR, I'd have to look at that but my only other thought is that you are referring to the Recast Brussels Regulations implemented circa 2014) where you can issue a claim in the country where you are domiciled against another who is domiciled in another EU member state. However, that would relate to the court having jurisdiction to hear the claim but the governing law I presume would be the country that you were employed in under the terms of the employment contract - just for everyone's benefit your private message explained that your employment was the Czech Republic.

I can't really comment on the law over in Czech Republic but they will be caught out by GDPR. Indeed a quick Google suggests that they are yet to implement their revised data protection law so the GDPR will apply in full until the national law is enacted.

Have you considered writing to the Czech data protection authority, the Office for Personal Data Protection (www.uoou.cz) and seeing what they have to say?

Assuming you can issue a claim in this country against your employer in the Czech, you would need to consider whether you have to obtain permission from the court to serve the claim form out of the jurisdiction. Civil Procedure Rule 6.33 is applicable here and I believe the basic rule is that where the European Regulations apply i.e. The Recast Brussels Regulations where the defendant is domiciled in another EU member state, then permission from the court is not usually required.

I believe the Recast Brussels Regulations also deals with enforcement of judgments in EU member states, so if you obtained judgment for disclosure by a court in this jurisdiction, then it should be recognised and enforceable by another member state.

Cross-border disputes are not the easiest to get your head around and you should ideally get some proper legal advice on how to go about it, or perhaps get access to a legal database such as Practical Law or Lexis PSL (either local library or maybe your local university might offer you access for a small fee) and have a read of it in full because its a lot to take in. Alternatively, international law firms such as Allen & Overy, Eversheds, DLA Piper, Clifford Chance etc. will probably have articles on Recast Brussels Regulations (the predecessor was the 2001 Regulations) and how they apply.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the response R0B.

Under Article 79, I should be able to seek proceedings against the company in England based on the below:

1. Without prejudice to any available administrative or non-judicial remedy, including the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority pursuant to Article 77, each data subject shall have the right to an effective judicial remedy where he or she considers that his or her rights under this Regulation have been infringed as a result of the processing of his or her personal data in non-compliance with this Regulation.
      2. 1Proceedings against a controller or a processor shall be brought before the courts of the Member State where the controller or processor has an establishment. 2Alternatively, such proceedings may be brought before the courts of the Member State where the data subject has his or her habitual residence, unless the controller or processor is a public authority of a Member State acting in the exercise of its public powers.
      I have spoken to the Office for Personal Data Protection you listed above and I don't hold much faith in them. There seems to be no procedures for dealing with complaints, no forms to fill out and you are just asked to send them an email to a basic inbox. Under Article 77, I am able to bring the complaint to the ICO, which I will be doing.

I've been reading through the Recast Brussels Regulations and although somewhat complex, it does appear to be the case that a ruling by a court in England & Wales would be enforceable in another member state. The only catch is that the enforcement procedure itself is governed by the national law of the Member State in which enforcement is sought.

In terms of filing a court claim in England, is it a simple case of an N1 form with the particulars asking for specific performance? Do you know if this would be assigned to the small claims court? Do you know why the non-money claim applications fees are £308, but monetary claim fees are generally a lot lower (I was wondering whether it is possible to claim a small monetary amount and ask for the order)?

Comment

Yes it would appear that the N1 form is the correct form to use. I think you would need to set out some background to your case than simply asking for specific performance. Difficult to say if it would go on the small claims track as they are usually reserved for simply money type claims as well as other relatively easy actions. As we are talking about a cross border dispute, it is possible the court might allocate it to something other than the small claims track.

I can't give you the specific reason as to why fees are higher than a money claim but they are only lower if your money claim is below a certain threshold, otherwise you could very well end up paying a similar amount to the flat rate fee for non-money claims. Either way you should be awarded your costs of the application if you are successful and assuming you claim that too as part of your claim.

I'm not sure how you would seek a money claim where you want some disclosure from your former employer. You would have to persuade the judge that the lack of disclosure and failure to comply with your request has caused material or non-material damage. It doesn't require financial loss but you would still have to prove it has caused some distress or inconvenience to warrant a small amount of compensation.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Here's what I learned when i did an SAR: all the employer has to do is tell the ICO they have supplied all the information to you, and the ICO will take their word and that will be the end of it. It doesnt matter what information you think they are not disclosing, there is nothing else you can do about it.

Comment

My employer is in a specific industry that requires the retention of communication for 6 years for compliance purposes with domestic and EU law (e.g. on money laundering).

There is also documentation from third parties containing my personal data, with no explanation as to how these third parties ended up with my personal data. At the very least there must be a paper trail, explaining how these third parties documentation came into possession of my personal data in the first place.

I am quite confident I can stand before a judge and present my case. I do have evidence that documentation containing my personal data has been deliberately withheld.

I've had fairly decent dealings with the ICO in the past. I'll give you one example where I presented a case to the ICO that an insurance company had failed to fully comply with a SAR:

- I had a non-fault car accident and the day after notifying my insurance company of the accident, I suddenly got a large number of phone calls to my mobile about whiplash and accident injury claims.
            - My insurance company denied passing my personal data to third parties.
            - I submitted a SAR and they responded without giving any details of my mobile phone number or passing my data to third parties.
            - I complained to the ICO, and the insurance company claimed they provided all personal data in accordance with the DPA.
            - I submitted a thorough report to the case worker, including evidence that even my insurance company was using my mobile phone number but failed to include it in their SAR response.
            - The ICO agreed that the insurance company had not provided all personal data and as a result, had breached their DPA requirements.
            - About 2 weeks later, the insurance company issued me a whole load of new personal data including the fact that they had provided my personal data to a subsidiary who then sold the data to third parties.

You need to present evidence to the ICO that an organisation has not provided all personal data. Without this, the ICO can normally only go on the word of the other party as to whether they have complied. There are also going to be situations that the ICO knows organisations in certain industries retain a lot of data for compliance purposes and if it's clearly not been included in a SAR response, then they can make a reasonable assessment about this.
            Last edited by AnotherLevel; 8th July 2018, 18:40:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X